Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Side effects of whooping cough vaccine (Boostrix-IPV)

(8 Posts)
FoxgloveStar Wed 16-Mar-16 14:32:39

I had my whooping cough vaccine two days ago. Today I have terrible diarrhoea. I'm content if this is simply a side effect of the vaccine but it is very difficult to know. The information leaflet says that diarrhoea can be a side effect but its not clear how common this is or how long I might expect it to last.

The reason why I'm particularly anxious about this is that I have a diagnosed GI condition, which is currently in remission. I have been told by docs that I must be vigilant during pregnancy in looking out for signs of a flare up, one of which is severe diarrhoea. However, I don't want to panic if it is just a side effect of the vaccine.

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 16-Mar-16 15:33:52

Ring your midwife if you're concerned. I was very tired after my wc vaccination but nothing more than that.

daisywhoopsie Wed 16-Mar-16 15:36:21

I felt really awful after mine. Very tired and a horribly upset stomach.

Given what you've said though I'd still give your midwife a call if you're concerned.

HappyInL0nd0n Wed 16-Mar-16 16:38:59

I didn't have any side effects after the vaccine, but I know it can affect people differently. Chat to your midwife.

Hope you feel better soon.

May09Bump Wed 16-Mar-16 20:43:48

I have been sick for the past three weeks, vomiting, tired and upset stomach - started straight after vaccine. It has caused Iron deficiency too. My midwife at the GP's surgery said lots have had similar symptoms after - but the hospital midwife got all defensive over it, dismissing the vaccine as the cause.

Just monitor it and speak to your midwife / consultant if ongoing.

CountessOfStrathearn Wed 16-Mar-16 20:49:36

I've had the whooping cough 3 times in the last (just over) 3 years and the only side effect I've noticed was a sore arm. I cannot see how the vaccine could have caused iron deficiency anaemia or vomiting (or how the community midwife could attribute lots of symptoms to it) and would strongly advise you to speak to someone about the diarrhoea if it could signal something more serious for you.

May09Bump Thu 17-Mar-16 07:57:54

The iron deficiency was caused by the inability to keep food down, and the vomiting was immediate within an hour of having the vaccine. I have not had nausea since the first two weeks of pregnancy. I would still take the decision to have the vaccine even with the symptoms, but it has been a hard three weeks. People do react differently - I think people / midwifes getting defensive of reporting possible reactions to vaccines is dangerous, as they are being dismissed and not tracked for research purposes.

We also have immunologists and GP's in the family who have confirmed that symptoms other than the standard sore arm can occur.

Artioo2 Thu 17-Mar-16 09:13:10

You absolutely have to talk to a GP or midwife - it doesn't matter what anyone else says on here about their reactions to the vaccine, you can't know for sure whether it's that or something more for you. It's not panicking, it's just sensible. Hope it all turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now