Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Third baby growth woe's

(6 Posts)
thegauntlet Mon 14-Mar-16 18:30:50

I am 35+4 with DC3. DD1 8lb1 born without any encouragement at 40+3 DD2 40+6 again all great at 8lb6

Iam having a boy this time, and have been for a growth scan today as my bump has measured 4cm behind. I was fully expecting them to say 'go away and don't worry he is going to be 10lbs ' but they didn't. I am 6ft 1 and have lots of space inside but it seems he is just on the 10th Centile. I have to go for another doppler next week and another scan in 2 weeks and if he has dropped below the line will have to have 'the talk'

I am pretty sad at the moment as I was planning a water birth at the local birth centre( we live in Rural Cumbria) which would be a complete healing following quite a traumatic 'free birth' ( not intentional) where the midwife just didn't listen to me and then left us to it ( my husband is a legend among our pals now)

So- sorry for the ramble... anyone had similar experiences? Is it an 'everywhere' policy not to allow birth centre or water deliveries in a 10th percentile baby? I just don't think i get why? If I was term they think he would be around 7lb which i think is ok?

Has anyone been induced because they went 'below the line?' at 38 weeks?

I am pretty fit, have been at the gym and swimming until this week, where I have been frightened by the midwife saying I haven't gained enough. I have put on 8kilos which is more than i put on with DD2 at full term. Do i just need to give up work now and eat cake?

Chattymummyhere Mon 14-Mar-16 18:58:23

3rd baby here I got sent to the consultant due to prior sga baby (4th centile) currently scans show just above 10th centile this time I have another scan next week at 39w1. I'm booked in for a Homebirth which as long as this baby stays above the 10th centile the consultant has no issue with, he has said however if the baby doesn't follow her line they will be looking at induction after my scan next week.

My 4th centile baby was a completely easy Homebirth (undiagnosed sga prior to birth).

Chattymummyhere Mon 14-Mar-16 19:00:02

Oh and I've put on 8kgs so far this pregnancy lost 3lbs since my last weight check though.

thegauntlet Mon 14-Mar-16 19:34:57

Chattymummy, how big was your 4th centile DC?

jalopyjane Mon 14-Mar-16 20:01:57

Dd2 was induced at 39 weeks for similar reasons and was around 2nd centile at birth. I was told they wouldn't induce me for small baby alone, but would do regular scans and induce if there was concern she wasn't following her line. I had growth scans at 35, 37 and 39 weeks then was induced.

The induction was the easiest of my 3 labours so although I would have preferred to let things take their natural course actually it all turned out well. And the most important thing was that she was fine. I'm sure it will all work out well for you even if it's not quite how you planned smile

Chattymummyhere Mon 14-Mar-16 20:03:03

she was 6lbs 2oz, no extra help was required after birth and she gained weight nicely on her own line she's still small at 4years old but perfectly in proportion and no health issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now