Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(9 Posts)
Slothlikesundays Sun 13-Mar-16 17:23:58

17 weeks and I have gained 12lbs?! Is this going to slow down? Feeling really fed up now. Which I know is stupid but I just can't help feel like a whale.

strandedabroad Sun 13-Mar-16 17:30:43

Nearly 19 weeks here and I've put on about the same. I thought I was doing ok - it's all on my bump and boobs, so I've convinced myself I'm not overeating. I think is quite average to put on about a kg a month in the first few months (sorry can't do imperial very well).

kiki22 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:41:23

I think it's about 1-5lbs in the first 14 weeks then around 1lbs per week until birth. I put a lot on with DS never bothered me but after he was born it really got me down and my fitness suffered so this time I'm staying on top of it and trying to stay within the ideal guidelines at 16 weeks I've gained just over 1lb. Most people usually gain most weight after 20 weeks so it may not slow down.

I think the most important thing is eating well and be really active the number on the scales does not matter as much as good health.

Sanch1 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:16:54

I wish I'd only put on that. I'm a right fat heffer in comparison.

Dowhatyoulove123 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:18:43

Try not to be so hard on yourself, your body is purposely making you hungry and storing that necessary nutrients for the baby.

I think us ladies are quite tough on ourselves, I felt like this too!

kiki22 Sun 13-Mar-16 21:08:30

Like I said it's more about your diet and exercise don't beat yourself up. I think a lot of people make you feel like it fine to put on however much weight but when your not feeling happy and healthy its not necessarily a good thing, in my first pregnancy I kidded myself that it was what my body needed but I was just using it as an excuse to eat what I wanted and put my feet up i'm ashamed to admit. I'm feeling so much better this time because im healthy, active and not having to dodge mirrors. Keep an eye on it keep moving and watch your diet and maybe do some research on how much your body actually needs to keep your baby healthy.

Missingcaffeine Sun 13-Mar-16 21:13:57

Personally, I think this is one area where everyone is different. I put on more weight than recommended in pregnancy, but I didn't look like I had other than bump and boobs, and I also lost it very quickly after the birth. I was constantly hungry in pregnancy and just ate when I wanted to eat. Try not to stress too much. I actually think I put on more fat in the first trimester when all I could stomach was carbs, and then when I started eating a better more balanced diet, I think I lost some fat in the second and third trimester.

sophied1983 Mon 14-Mar-16 07:41:55

I am 15 weeks today and was reading something earlier that said a weight gain of 0.5kg per week from this point onwards is normal.

cathpip Mon 14-Mar-16 07:46:46

Everybody puts on different amounts of weight, I suffered from severe water retention and spd so could not exercise and even though I moderated what I ate I still gained 7.5 stone. Dc4 was 11.6lbs and I am now back to pre pregnancy weight and my size 10 clothes 6 months later. Nothing nicer than standing on the scales realising that you have lost 2kgs overnight....till you look at the bed sheets that are soaked in sweat that is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now