Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech baby - 37 weeks

(19 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:51:32

My baby is currently breech at 37 weeks so I have been advised to have a section. What are the chances of baby turning?

RayofFuckingSunshine Sat 12-Mar-16 17:58:21

Have you been offered an ECV, or is it something you would even consider? Is it the midwife who has advised you or have you seen the consultant yet? Depending on the hospital you could even discuss a breech vaginal birth if it's something you might want.

Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 18:28:38

Hi I was offered an ECV but it isn't something I want. I was given a scan at the hospital as a consultant suspected the baby was breech which was confirmed by the scan. Baby is footling breech so they advise c-section rather than vaginal birth. It's been a little bit of a shock really.

creamoftomato Sat 12-Mar-16 18:34:19

My DC2 was breech at 36 weeks and although v sceptical I went for some acupuncture and moxabustion, because I was desperate to avoid a section. Amazingly baby turned the same day, entirely undetected by me. I went to the midwife the day after the treatment who said she thought baby was definitely head down, confirmed 3 days later at the scan at the ECV appointment. So, you could give it a go?! I'm still surprised to be honest (and of course I know baby might have turned anyway, but still!)

lynholmerpark Sat 12-Mar-16 18:35:44

Unlikely baby will turn now. If you are thinking of going for vaginal breech birth you'll need an experienced team to support you as footling breech is not the most optimal breech presentation for birthing vaginally.

Muskateersmummy Sat 12-Mar-16 18:38:59

Dd was breech the whole way through. I had a vaginal breech delivery (mainly because she came too quickly for section.) I had chosen section as my option even though our hospital prefer vaginal deliveries almost every time. But dd had other plans!

Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 19:26:08

Musketeers what was your vaginal delivery like if you don't mind me asking? Was your baby footling breech or a different presentation?
At the moment I intend to go for a c-section but we have another appointment to discuss everything fully so no firm decisions yet.

sodabreadjam Sat 12-Mar-16 19:38:16

This was a long time ago - DS1 is 33 years old now - but he was breech at 38 weeks. I had an x-Ray and very lengthy ultrasound that confirmed this.

He was a frank breech - bottom first and legs straight up - I got to see the x-Ray.

I wasn't going to be offered a c section and was quite nervous.

He turned by the next time I saw the consultant - at 39 weeks.

He was fairly small when born at 40 weeks 4 days - 6lb 11oz - I think this is what gave him room to turn.

I hope your baby turns but it is good that you are being given the option of a c section if you want it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

mawbroon Sat 12-Mar-16 19:47:05

I tried moxibustion too.

It really did make ds1 wriggle about and I believe that he was trying to turn, but it later transpired that I have a heart shaped uterus and his head was completely stuck.

I'm glad the consultant refused to do ecv after a quick prod of my bump. It could have been a disaster.

I've heard people mention a website called Spinning Babies (I think). Might be worth a look

Heavenscent86 Sat 12-Mar-16 21:41:14

Thanks. I'll check out spinning babies and see if it's useful.

CantWin Sat 12-Mar-16 22:33:21

I'm currently expecting a breech baby and was offered natural birth but gave declined (mainly due to experiences of friends and no real experienced staff at the hospital) they will consider a section at 39 or 40 weeks if he doesn't turn.... It's a bit scary isn't it but these doctors know what they are talking about I suppose xx

GlitteryFluff Sat 12-Mar-16 22:45:27

I went into hospital at 40+12 with a baby in correct position and at some point over next three days baby turned and was breech but nobody knew (me or mw). Luckily induction didn't work and had a section due to failure to progress at 40+15 and he was massive (over 11lbs) and definitely breech.
So the point of my incredibly long and boring life story is baby could turn in time! But if not a section is a really lovely experience.

CantWin Sat 12-Mar-16 22:55:21

Ur post saying a section is lovely is very reassuring smile xx

Heavenscent86 Sun 13-Mar-16 08:57:23

I guess you didn't feel your baby turn then glittery? I'm nervous of that. That I'll go in for the section, baby will have turned and they'll refuse to do the section because what if baby turns again and I still have to give birth vaginally to a breech baby. I'm only small framed so being in a position where I could end up giving birth to an overdue breech baby is daunting.

dementedma Sun 13-Mar-16 09:01:21

I went into labour with dc1 and half way through they discovered she was breech, arse first, legs straight up and jammed.Emergency section and panic all round. I was bloody furious that the breech wasn't detected earlier and I could have had a planned CS with less drama and stress.

GlitteryFluff Sun 13-Mar-16 09:10:56

At the time I didn't notice no, however there was a point in hospital when me and DH were like 'my god he's wriggling around like mad, what on earth is he doing?'
Now I know that was him turning.
So be on the look out, if you know it's an option you might be more aware of movements. It didn't even cross my mind! My whole tummy went flat one side but stuck right out the other side - it was so weird. (He was engaged before this happened!)
I don't think it's common for babies to turn this late, but there's always a chance. Personally I'd prepare myself for a section X

Heavenscent86 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:20:24

Hmmm I'll pay attention to the movements then. Just see if I notice anything. My tummy often sticks out on one side but it's not like it's wriggling, just a lot of pressure in one place. Definitely going to prepare for a section. I have been in and out of hospital anyway so would kind of like to have that date in mind when we might be able to come home and stay home.

bittapitta Sun 13-Mar-16 10:39:40

If you turn up for scheduled c section they wouldn't change their mind and turn you away. You would go ahead and have the c section. Good luck OP,

Heavenscent86 Sun 13-Mar-16 11:02:26

Thank you bitta. I hope you are right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now