Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Amoxicillin dosage 3g daily

(10 Posts)
Countrylass22 Sat 12-Mar-16 16:40:18

Hello, I thought I would ask on here as I am a little nervous about antibiotics in pregnancy. I am 27 weeks and have a raging throat infection on our babymoon abroad and have been prescribed 1g amoxicillin 3 times a day. I did think to call midwife to check the drug itself was ok but afterward I realised the dosage sounds quite high? Does anyone know if this dosage is ok? I know that throat infection can't be good for me and bubba either, but am a little concerned about the dosage!!!

KayTee87 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:04:14

Amoxicillin is considered safe in pregnancy, 3g daily isn't unheard of and the doctor probably wants to get the throat infection under control quickly as bacterial infections can be dangerous in pregnancy.
For background what country are you in and does the doctor that prescribed your medication know you are pregnant?

KayTee87 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:08:21

Remember there's never any harm in phoning your own doctor or midwife to double check anything though smile get better soon.

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 12-Mar-16 17:09:35

That dose sounds fine. Better to get that infection under control asap.

Countrylass22 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:14:22

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. We are in France and the doc did know I was pregnant when prescribing, it just sounded high! I will stop worrying now and start resting up then smile

KayTee87 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:17:14

Yeah I wouldn't worry country just get yourself better smile
I had 2 operations in france as a child and my parents were impressed by their health care.

rew0077 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:20:58

As long as you don't have a penicillin allergy - amoxicillin is considered safe in pregnancy. 1g TDS is the max dose recommended (range 500mg to 1g TDS) so he obviously thought you needed to get the infection under control.
Look after yourself. Lots of fluids, paracetamol, rest. (And eat some probiotic yoghurt to help your tummy with the antibiotics)

Countrylass22 Sat 12-Mar-16 19:51:54

Thank you I'll try that too smile

seven201 Sun 13-Mar-16 08:46:36

I'm on my second lot of amoxicillin. 1g (I think) 3 times a day as I have a wee infection that won't go. I'm 25 1/2 weeks. They wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't needed. Get well thanks

seven201 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:24:25

Just saw the box and I'm on less, 500mg 3 times a day. Not that it really matters but thought I should correct myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now