Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Satay sauce made with coconut milk?

(10 Posts)
QueenMolotov Fri 11-Mar-16 18:52:49

I know this may sound silly, but ...

I had a takeaway meal tonight - tofu in satay sauce. I could taste coconut in it, so it must have been made with coconut milk, or coconut cream. Is this safe to eat in pregnancy?

I know it's a coconut and so didn't come out of an animal but I'm 12w (with my 3rd baby! I should know!) and over-thinking about the foods I'm eating.

TIA smile

Shirkingfromhome Fri 11-Mar-16 18:54:26

You're fine with coconut milk smile

QueenMolotov Fri 11-Mar-16 19:01:24

Thank-you for answering smile I just got the idea lodged into my head and it wouldn't move.

JanetOfTheApes Fri 11-Mar-16 19:02:59

What do you imagine could be dangerous about coconut milk?

Nan0second Fri 11-Mar-16 19:07:55

Have a read of the NHS website about what's safe to eat in pregnancy. It's pretty much everything apart from oysters and soft mould ripened cheese (so Brie but Stilton is fine!)
It will reassure you heaps.

Hopelass Fri 11-Mar-16 19:10:49

I think you can even have Brie if it is cooked and rind removed ie deep fried breaded Brie or baked Camembert. I bloody hope so anyway I'm 7 weeks with #2 and love Brie and Camembert. Please correct me if I'm wrong though but I might stab you grin

Nan0second Fri 11-Mar-16 19:15:09

Hopelass: you can if it's "thoroughly cooked".
Difficult to achieve though... Having said that, I work in this field and read the relevant research about the very tiny risk of listeria and therefore might have had the odd bite of baked Camembert whilst pregnant (and indeed the occasional glass of champagne)

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 11-Mar-16 19:16:02

Can I not have oysters?!?! Shit. I'm going to be 20 weeksish at Easter and we are going to whitstable- the home of oysters. Bollocks!

Pinkheart5915 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:16:17

Coconut milk/cream will be fine no danger
Enjoy!

JanetOfTheApes Fri 11-Mar-16 19:34:15

I ate oysters while pregnant. No particular reason not to, if you get them from a good source. If you want to be cautious you can get them cooked, I ate raw. And uncooked brie.
Bigger listeria risk from butter and melon then Brie, statistically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now