Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Don't want to drink anything

(15 Posts)
caperberry Thu 10-Mar-16 14:09:20

Hello, I'm 9+1 and can't seem to face drinking anywhere near as much as I was pre-pregnancy. I used to drink loads of water and herbal tea but I've gone off them both. I never used to drink fizzy drinks but I downed a load of diet lemonade that DH had bought the other day and I quite enjoyed it blush I'm aware that it's not healthy so don't want to keep drinking it but need to have something. Just feeling guilty I suppose that I'm choosing less healthy things than before sad
Anyone else had this?

KayTee87 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:21:06

If anything I drink far more water. You do need to make sure you drink enough - why don't you try a squeeze of lemon in your water or chopped cucumber to give it some flavour?

KayTee87 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:22:35

When I had morning sickness though my diet was terrible and I lost weight so don't beat yourself up. Realised it sounded like I was lecturing you flowers

strawberrypenguin Thu 10-Mar-16 14:26:25

Not all herbal teas are recommended in pregnancy anyway. Have you tried a normal decaf or hot/cold squash? You do need to drink so lemonade is better than nothing!
Also ice lollies might be worth a try.

LBOCS2 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:31:15

There are women who are basically unable to keep anything down; their babies are fine as the foetus takes what it needs from their bodies.

If lemonade is what you fancy, drink lemonade. It's likely to be only for a few weeks until you get into your second trimester. I could only face satsumas and tropical lucozade in my first pregnancy; the outcome of that is now three and perfectly healthy. Getting dehydrated is much more dangerous than drinking lots of lemonade!

caperberry Thu 10-Mar-16 14:43:56

Thanks, I'll try cucumber in water as that sounds quite appealing actually.
Tried squash and couldn't really stomach it, same for decaf tea. Might try decaf coffee as I've never been a coffee drinker but I seem to enjoy things that have never appealed to me before.
And in the meantime I'll continue with the lemonade, as you say LBOCS2 it's got to be better than dehydration!
Thanks all flowers

museumum Thu 10-Mar-16 14:45:00

I had a strong preference for sour drinks like lime cordial and for sparkling water.
Try some stuff you'd never have thought of before. Your tastes so change.

squeezed Thu 10-Mar-16 15:08:40

Ice pops can be really effective if you're struggling. Diet lemonade isn't awful though so I wouldn't worry. I'm 30 weeks with an appalling diet due to ongoing sickness, but just try to get whatever fluid will stay down.

StrawberryQuik Thu 10-Mar-16 15:25:13

Oh gosh, I feel for you. I kept getting UTIs in the first trimester because I couldn't drink enough.

I still struggle drinking plain water at 35 weeks! I drink lots of sparkling water everyday instead. I think the bubbles help settle my stomach.

Bitter rather than sugary things also seem to help - like ginger presse, elderflower as its not too sweet, or those non alcoholic little aperitif drinks from lidl - so bitter but so tasty!

MrsJayy Thu 10-Mar-16 15:29:34

I drank full sugar lemonade when I was pregnant was the only thing I could face or black tea drink what you need want especially when you are feeling so naff Diet lemonade is better than nothing IMO

MrsJayy Thu 10-Mar-16 15:32:05

Water made me vomit but I drank sparkling with Dd2 and it stayed was flavoured so not healthy but again better than nothing

zeeka Thu 10-Mar-16 15:32:51

Me too! I'm 13 weeks and water just makes me taste the nasty taste in my mouth and I feel sick. I'm having lucozade and some squash, trying to limit it though as feel the same as you!

caperberry Thu 10-Mar-16 16:03:05

Fizzy water is an option I hadn't considered, I'll definitely try that too! Am going to have a good browse of the drinks section at the supermarket and see what I fancy.

Kstar8 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:06:15

I went off most drinks in the first trimester too! Was worried as most women said their thirst increased and I just wasn't thirsty nor did I enjoy any fluids.
Completely went off hot drinks and squash and water. I did however drink lemons squeezed into water and smoothies/fruit juices. None of this great for my teeth but it only lasted a few weeks. By about 14 weeks I was back drinking tea (redbush/rooibos), squash and everything else.
It may well pass soon so don't worry too much. You will also get fluid from food if you are able to eat (not that I could eat a lot).

spacefrog35 Thu 10-Mar-16 18:28:05

Only thing I could drink for first 14 weeks was lime cordial & even that was a struggle. I was in hysterics one evening because I was so thirsty but couldn't stomach anything. Just drink whatever you can, it will settle down and then you can drink what you feel is healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now