Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

22 weeks and had less movement from baby. told not to worry as this can be quite normal?

(16 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Thu 10-Mar-16 13:04:21

Hey I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have been feeling very light baby movements since about 20 weeks.
For the past 3 days I haven't felt much at all and it's worried me a little however I am overweight and have an anterior placenta both things that can stop me feeling movement!
I have just called my day unit at the hospital who said baby can be getting into a little routine and they wouldn't worry too much at this stage and to just make sure om eating and drinking enough. Has anyone else experienced this at this stage?

nixxxy Thu 10-Mar-16 13:30:00

If you are worried, please call your maternity assessment unit again (number should be on your notes) and go down to have a quick check up. You won't be wasting their time and it'll put your mind at ease!

ShowOfHands Thu 10-Mar-16 13:33:44

You don't expect a regular pattern at that stage though it can happen. The baby is small enough to tuck away, particularly behind an anterior placenta. It is utterly normal. You've another month before the pattern or lulls becomes really important.

All that said, please do seek a 2nd opinion if still worried.

LeonoraFlorence Thu 10-Mar-16 13:41:05

Phone your local maternity unit back and tell them you would like to get checked out. They can quickly hook you up to the monitor and see that things are ok smile Not worth the worry and that's their job.

SmallBee Thu 10-Mar-16 13:45:58

If you are worried then insist on getting checked out.
It really is worth it.

HeffalumpHistory Thu 10-Mar-16 13:52:54

I would insist on being seen. My midwife always said she would rather see 30 panickers for false alarms than risk missing 1 problem.

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 10-Mar-16 13:55:39

Bippity I had this at 22 weeks too. Try not to worry-baby can be kicking into your back as it's still quite little! If you're concerned though then ring your midwife-I've been monitored loads of times now because ours is a little monkey and seems to have no real pattern of movement at all!

originalusernamefail Thu 10-Mar-16 14:14:36

It's always better to ask to be seen if for no other reason than to reassure you. I had an anterior placenta with DS1 and didn't feel him AT ALL until 28 weeks then only big 'swooshes' when he changed positions entirely. DS2 was a posterior placenta and completely different ball game.

mascaraisamust Thu 10-Mar-16 16:43:41

I've been the same, I'm 21+5 and he has quiet and busy days. Didn't feel anything for two days and then he was really active last night. Think when I'm really busy he isn't active. Trying not to panic as I probably could have had three occasions where I could have called to have a scan! Such a worrier.

BettyBi0 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:48:35

Anterior placenta can make the movements much harder to feel. Never hesitate to call your midwife to check but bigger movements might be easier to feel when the baby is a little bigger

bippitybopityboo Thu 10-Mar-16 20:24:26

Thanks ladies!!!
I called the community midwives rather than the unit and they asked me to go straight in! Checked baby and could hear movements that I wasn't even feeling and heard healthy heartbeat so I am very relieved they were fab much better help than the hospital!
The midwife said never to hesitate to call the movements are what tells us out babies are doing ok!
Thanks so much for all your help! flowers

LeonoraFlorence Thu 10-Mar-16 20:36:13

Great news! Glad the midwives were reassuring too. Most of them are happy to check, just in case. I've only come across one who wasn't happy at my wanting reassurance after feeling ill and having reduced movement.

mascaraisamust Thu 10-Mar-16 21:10:56

Good to know bippity, my boy has just given me some nice strong kicks so I'm feeling relieved again, for now! It's whenever I have a big meal!

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 10-Mar-16 21:48:38

Glad you're ok bippity - ot but did you do your cake reveal? Or am I thinking of the wrong poster?

bippitybopityboo Thu 10-Mar-16 22:25:40

champagne we did! On mothers day! It was lovely and we enjoyed blue cake! Not sure if I have attached the picture properly smile
And I know the community midwives were so lovely Leonora wouldn't hesitate if I was concerned again!
mascara he hasn't stopped since I got checked I felt like a fraud in the car on the way home! It's a lovely feeling though isn't it!

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 10-Mar-16 22:31:52

That's lovely bippity! The cake looks amazing! And don't feel like a fraud our baby visibly started moving almost the second they put me on the monitor the first time we went grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now