Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So, induction with polyhydramnios in 2 days ... any tips?

(4 Posts)
KatamariDamacy Thu 10-Mar-16 11:29:57

So, owing to polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid), an unstable lie and my own anxieties about prelabour rupture of membranes (which increases risk of cord prolapse), my lovely homebirth is out of the window and I'm booked to be induced at the weekend when I'll be 39 weeks.

I'm panicking quite a bit. Basically, they will do an ECV if baby isn't head down when I go in, followed by breaking my waters while pushing the baby down to try and get it to engage, then hopefully we'll be off. Hoping not to need a drip too (third baby in four years). Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Anyone had anything like this happen? Anyone been induced by breaking their waters and not needed a drip? Now not sure if I'm right to go ahead with this and hoping for a bit of a handhold.

kamillaw Thu 10-Mar-16 13:01:07

Mee! I was induced with 2nd due to polyhydramnios. I didn't have an unstable lie so can't help there but was favourable and had waters broken. Then had 4 hours to get into labour or it would be drip. Pains started in about 10 mins post ARM so didn't need the drip. She came 2 hours later on gas and air! Can defo be done especially as it's not your first. Good luck!

KatamariDamacy Thu 10-Mar-16 13:27:22

Ooh, that sounds good and positive grin thank you kamillaw.

April2013 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:52:42

Hi there, I have unstable lie and struggling with knowing what to do as well, what advice have they given you about unstable lie? Seems they are suggesting an induction soon but all seems to depend on the position at the time. They seem to think a few contractions would make him engage but I'm not so sure. Tempted to be annoying and request a cesarean but just not sure. They seem happy to say it is unstable lie when not head down but then when he is head down they think he is no longer unstable and is normal, but I know it is probably just a matter of time before he moves somewhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now