Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No visible bump at 17 weeks, a little concerned :/

(24 Posts)
adventuroushearted19 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:44:06

This is my first pregnancy and I'm quite tall standing at 170cms (5ft7) I have terrible terrible morning sickness and nausea which I have to take dissolvable tablets on a daily basis for or I throw up to the point that I have nothing more to throw up and I start throwing up other bodily fluids. It's no BIG surprise as my mum was like that with all 3 of her pregnancies throwing up from the moment she conceived right through to when she gave birth. Hats off to the strong woman my mum is smile I am not half as strong as my mum and find it difficult to cope if I start feeling nauseated and sick. I hope Bub is doing fine and the tablets arent affecting Bubs growth in any way, I'm probably just overreacting and thinking too much into it, but I kinda don't know any better.

londonrach Tue 08-Mar-16 17:48:34

Im 19 weeks and no bump. Pleasedont worry. Everyone carries differently. I have a doppler so know all ok. Dh says he can a kinda bump now but honestly its almost nothing. Do love the kicks im getting from baby though! If worried talk to midwife. X

Sanch1 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:56:34

I didnt get a bump until 22ish weeks with DD1, i really wouldnt worry.

hugoagogo Tue 08-Mar-16 17:56:41

I would think it unusual if you were showing at 17 weeks! So please don't worry about that.
You have my sympathy on the morning sickness front, take good care of yourself.

stumblymonkey Tue 08-Mar-16 17:58:47

First pregnancies can take quite a while to show since you haven't been pregnant before and so your abs are tightly knitted together.

From memory my friends were all 20 weeks plus before you saw much at all...

DurhamDurham Tue 08-Mar-16 18:01:06

My waist was thicker by 15 weeks but I didn't get a bump until I was 20 weeks, it's was neat and small Neil the last 8 weeks when it seemed to get large quite quickly. It was the same with both pregnancies and my babies were 8 10 and 8 15 without any problems.

Everyone is difference so don't worry, mention it to your midwife when you see her just to put your mind at rest.

skankingpiglet Tue 08-Mar-16 18:01:34

First time I wasn't showing at 17wks, in fact I didn't look particularly pregnant at term either. THIS time however... shock Let's just say I've been in my mat clothes since about 14wks.

SaveSomeSpendSome Tue 08-Mar-16 18:02:28

I showed really early in my first pregnancy. Around 12 weeks.

I really wish i didnt. Its no fun walking round with a big bump that makes you arch your back in an un natural way causing you to have back pain.

Everyone comments on a big bump, asks if your having twins etc.

I really wish i didnt show so soon as full term i was massive, in pain and it was no fun!

I think your really lucky not to be showing yet.

1frenchfoodie Tue 08-Mar-16 18:34:02

Not unusual not to show in the first few months. I got married in a size 6 wedding dress at 21 weeks with no visible bump (though I could see small change myself). But a couple of months later I looked as though I was carrying a bowling ball.

DrAmandaBentley Tue 08-Mar-16 18:39:02

I remember asking the sonographer if it was normal not to have a bump at 20 weeks. She told me it was common. Now I'm on no.4 and at 19 weeks I'm not huge, but I look pregnant. Be thankful for your stomach muscles!

The worst thing you can do it go on Google and search these women who have massive protruding bumps at 10 weeks. Most of that is either fat and or bloating.

ILiveForNachos Tue 08-Mar-16 19:06:42

Like a PP I got thicker but didn't get a proper bump until at least 20+ weeks and it's only now at 30 weeks that I have what I call a proper baby bump that is starting to get in the way!

Everyone guesses I'm about 4 or 5 months pregnant not nearly 7 months.

Everyone's bodies are so different there is no 'normal'. You and your baby bump are unique ❤️

SpecialStains Tue 08-Mar-16 19:12:24

17 weeks here, first pregnancy and much shorter than you and only the tiniest hint of bump (or it could be bloating due to constipation, I'm not sure). grin

nearlyteatime101 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:19:18

I think it might depend on your build as well as lots of other factors. I'm broad and tall and didn't show until 34+ weeks, maybe more.

chandelierswinging Tue 08-Mar-16 19:25:47

15 weeks here, 3rd baby, and only my pre-christmas lard to show so far! Didn't stop someone rubbing my stomach recently though shock Stomachs don't grow babies wink

TwllBach Tue 08-Mar-16 19:29:08

I'm about your height and this is my 'bump' at 16 weeks. I remember thinking that I definitely looked pregnant and got irrationally annoyed when people didn't agree... Now I'm like a whale at 33 weeks and would love to be smaller!

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 08-Mar-16 19:30:43

I just looked hippy until about 26 weeks. I thought I was showing but I'd just spread out a bit grin

Wait4nothing Sun 13-Mar-16 15:55:21

I only got a clear bump at 22wks ish - I was a little bigger before that around my middle but had actually lost weight due to sickness until 20 odd weeks.
Now at 33 weeks I have an obvious bump but it isn't that big that it's causing major discomfort (right size for dates). I'm actually grateful I'm not too huge right now - it's hard enough with being knackered!

wineandcheeseplease Mon 14-Mar-16 07:40:09

Oh phew. I'm 15 weeks with no bump and was getting worried!

silverstar77 Tue 15-Mar-16 07:15:03

This is me near the beginning and now at 18 weeks, just thickening out as you can see....I think this is how you feel til you pop put. My first pregnancy too.....

OhShutUpThomas Tue 15-Mar-16 07:21:25

I'm on number 3, also 17 weeks. No bump here either! I'm just much thicker, pretty much the same as silverstar. I can feel it when I lie flat on my back and skinny jeans don't fit as my hips are much wider and I'm just a bit fatter but no bump.

I never show until well past 20 weeks and I can usually hide it until around 32 weeks.

Some people just carry small smile

But whenever I go to the midwife they usually say 'oooh what a neat bump! You're tiny!' Etc which makes me think it can't be the norm, but my measurements have always come out right.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 15-Mar-16 07:28:59

I didn't have any hint of a bump with my first until about 21/22 weeks!! She's perfectly healthy. My bump just kind of appeared at 24/25 weeks. I also had hyperemesis with that pregnancy, was hospitalised four times, and was on medication to stop me throwing up, my baby is absolutely fine. Please don't worry! You've not got long to wait before you see your little bean again on the screen and you'll be amazed at how much bigger he/she is from the last time you had a scan!

Strokethefurrywall Tue 15-Mar-16 15:45:20

Yep, just thickening for me too until about 24-25 weeks and I'm 5ft 8". Didn't go into maternity wear until 28 weeks. I didn't have a large bump with DS1 but was pretty obviously pregnant, but I only give birth to titchy babies!

The things they don't tell you in the books. The first 20 weeks of pregnancy are Dullsville! Spend the first 12 weeks panicking (as I did even with scans every month and having seen the hb at 5+6), barfing and falling asleep, then the remaining 8 weeks waiting impatiently for something, anything, to happen.

I didn't get kicks until 21 weeks with both my boys, but again, only touching 6lbs when they were born.

After that it gets more fun and interesting!

GlindatheFairy Tue 15-Mar-16 15:48:52

I was the same, try not to worry. Most of the time I felt like I wasn't pregnant until I got massive in the third trimester. Even then when I went on mat leave from work at 36 weeks pregnant a couple of people said "Oh I didn't know you were pregnant." shock

I never once got offered a seat on the Tube. And I actually put 4 stone on with DD1 too.

GlindatheFairy Tue 15-Mar-16 15:50:52

I always measured small for my dates too with DD1 so had a few extra scans to check she was growing ok and had enough amniotic fluid. She was 8lbs so was definitely growing ok! With DD2 my bump measured spot on for dates and she was 9lbs 2oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now