Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Excessive vomiting late pregnancy

(6 Posts)
VerySickyLady Mon 07-Mar-16 18:05:26

Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone else had this sort of thing or could advise on how best to manage...

My due date is today, it's baby #3, previous and this pregnancies and births all low risk / relatively smooth. Yesterday I felt dizzy all day and then started vomiting late afternoon. Hospital advised I come in for a check and urine, blood pressure etc were ok and cervix closed so came home.

Continued being sick overnight and this morn (including some bright yellow and green vomit, sorry if TMI) so saw GP at lunchtime. He said its prob a stomach bug and prescribed anti sickness medication. I haven't vomitted for a few hours now but I feel terrible and haven't done a wee since this morning. Baby still kicking around on the plus side.

I have a routine midwife appointment tomorrow and GP said she should check urine for ketones and advise if I should return to hospital.

Does this sound sensible? Anything else I should look out for? What if I go into labour? I have zero energy so no idea how that would go....

Thanks so much for sharing any experiences or advice.

Heirhelp Mon 07-Mar-16 18:08:48

I suspect your body would not choose to go into labour if your ill. I would ring the hospital again and ask for their advice.

Are you able to keep water down?

VerySickyLady Mon 07-Mar-16 18:18:59

Thanks for reply, didn't keep any water down from yesterday afternoon to this lunchtime but have probably drank about a pint since then which (thanks to the anti sickness pills I think) has so far stayed down.

Yes the braxtn Hicks have completely stopped and I'm sure baby is no longer engaged so fingers crossed you're right labour isn't imminent.

PoppitFox Tue 08-Mar-16 10:13:40

how are you feeling today OP?
let us know what your midwife says xx

VerySickyLady Tue 08-Mar-16 13:19:40

Feeling much better thanks and now able to keep stuff down, even without the medication.

Given this and the fact there was only a trace of ketones in urine, plus all other checks ok, midwife was fine with situation, I just need to ensure I drink lots to rehydrate (hopefully before I go into labour!)

Mummyme87 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:26:12

Drink lots, snack or high energy foods and rest. There a lot of bugs going around at the moment. Hopefully you will feel better by the time you go into labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now