Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Asprin a day during pregnancy.

(10 Posts)
charlottexox Sun 06-Mar-16 21:03:53

Hi ladies!
I went to see an obstetrics on Tuesday due to my BMI being high and suffering from PCOS.
They took my blood pressure twice, and the second time it was higher than the first, the doctor then decided to put me on 1 asprin a day during my pregnancy due to the blood pressure being slightly high (which has never been an issue for me before) and she said to prevent pre--eclampsia.
I am just so upset at the moment, as I keep reading horror stories about Pre-eclampsia and I have also been given extra scans to check my baby is growing OK.
Can any of you give me your stories on this, if you have suffered from pre-eclampsia and/or got put on asprin during your pregnancy?
I am longing for a healthy and happy pregnancy after 4 years of trying to get pregnant!

scrumptiouscrumpets Mon 07-Mar-16 17:20:57

Hi Charlotte, you have been very lucky to have such an attentive doctor. Aspirin is the only intervention that has been proven to reduce the risk of preeclampsia, and it has no known side effects on the baby. From your post, it is not possible to say how high your risk of developing preeclampsia actually is. Ask your doctor about this, he or she will be able to tell you how likely you are too have problems. In any case, it is great that you are doing something to reduce your risk. All the best for your pregnancy!

Mermaid36 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:30:38

I'm on aspirin and BP tablets at the moment during my pregnancy as I have essential hypertension (pre-pregnancy)... my consultant put me on the aspirin about 3 weeks ago, and has increased my existing BP medication as well.
I see the consultant every 2 weeks and they will monitor BP and urine throughout the pregnancy

Battleshiphips2 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:42:07

I had pre eclampsia during my first pregnancy. Took asprin every day during this one and didn't get pre eclampsia this time. I gave birth 2 and a half weeks ago. I also have PCOS. This pregnancy was after 7 years of trying.

JessieMcJessie Mon 07-Mar-16 17:48:57

My doc put me on daily aspirin to prevent PE simply because of my age (42). I have no other risk factors and my blood pressure has always been absolutely fine. I got the sense it was a sort of "can't do any harm, may help" approach.

possum18 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:51:32

I've been on daily aspirin since 12 weeks as I'm having twins and risk of PE is higher. Currently 32+ weeks and not had any problems or sign of PE. It can't do any harm and if it can help then why not.
Good luck X

Iggi999 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:55:26

Is this baby aspirin? (Don't think anyone has said a dose)

JessieMcJessie Mon 07-Mar-16 17:59:51

For me yes, 75mg.

SerenityReynolds Mon 07-Mar-16 18:02:07

I was on aspirin daily in both my pregnancies, as well as anti-clotting injections. Not for pre-eclampsia though, another medical condition. I had no side effects from the aspirin and 2 uncomplicated pregnancies/births. They did tell me to stop the aspirin at about 35 weeks though (I continued the injections until I went into labour), so it might be worth checking how long they want you to have it for - it might be different for pre-eclampsia.

frozensmoothie Mon 07-Mar-16 18:12:35

I've been on 75mg on Aspirin throughout too as it's my first baby and my mum had severe PE with me and I was delivered at 34 weeks. I'm 32 weeks and so far everything has been ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now