Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

start of pregnancy with Cold Sores

(7 Posts)
kinga1981 Thu 03-Mar-16 20:26:13

Just found out I am pregnant must be 4th week now. I am sick scared that something is going to go wrong with me. Besides that, I got a cold sores 3 times in the past 3 weeks, I didn't know what was going on with me ( had cold sores before but not to this effect) Anyone had cold sores epidemic during pregnancy? How can I help myself to avoid them.

nearlyreadytopop Thu 03-Mar-16 22:06:07

Lysine is good and I've a device from Boots that zaps them before they really get going. It's kept mine in check.

nearlyreadytopop Thu 03-Mar-16 22:08:03

http://m.boots.com/h5/cathub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Boots-Electronic-Cold-Sore-Machinee_1129542/

Athrawes Thu 03-Mar-16 22:17:33

Talk to your midwife and/or doctor for reassurance and maybe a course of antivirals for use during pregnancy. I was told that there would be no problem for the baby inside me, that the only risk came if i had an active sore during delivery. Obviously new babies not to be kissed or come into contact with active sores.

kinga1981 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:39:21

Thank you for all advice. Will take it up at the next appointment with doctors.

novemberchild Fri 04-Mar-16 00:45:40

Pregnancy represses your immune system, so the lesions will probably recur more often. Talk to the doctor, eat well if you can, vitamins etc. Recurrence on its own won't hurt pregnancy, but as pp said, careful of transmission, wash hands, don't rub face etc.

bessie84 Fri 04-Mar-16 08:03:28

im 22 weeks and had no end of cold sores, consultant told me to take vitamins to help. keep washing hands ect. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now