Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cyclogest and aspirin after 4 miscarriages

(7 Posts)
Lindseymariewalker123 Mon 29-Feb-16 22:20:08

The consultant has prescribed me 400mg cyclogest and aspirin has anyone used these in pregnancy looking for story's good and bad as want to be prepared I won't enjoy the pregnancy becauae the worry of miscarriage again not got my hopes up unfortunately

Seekingmiracles Tue 01-Mar-16 10:46:15

Hi Lyndsey,
Have you had tests done for your miscarriages? I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant after 4 miscarriages so can completely understand your worries.
I'm also on cyclogest and aspirin among other drugs.
They're both routinely given as a precaution. Hopefully they'll be just the trick to make this one successful.

sparechange Tue 01-Mar-16 10:58:31

Hi Lindsey,
Sorry to hear about your losses, and keeping everything crossed for you that this is the one.

Cyclogest and Aspirin are routinely used for IVF pregnancies, where the body might be producing slightly lower levels of progesterone. There have also been several studies into its use for women who have had recurrent miscarriages. The only down side to it is that it wrecks your knickers, but it is a small price to pay. The aspirin also has worked wonders for lots of women.

I don't want to be negative, but you did ask for the bad side... Taking cyclogest can mask a spontaneous miscarriage, so if you were to miscarry, you may not know about it until you have a scan.
Wishing you loads and loads of luck with your pregnancy flowers

Blackpoollassy Tue 01-Mar-16 13:59:51

hello
i'm using both now and am 12 weeks (or i'm possible using both. I may have a placebo instead of progesterone!).
I've posted before about the PRISM trial for progesterone (http://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/information/research/the-prism-trial/) as there's no evidence to suggest, at present, that it supports non-ivf pregnancies so hence the trial.
The findings of the PROMISE trial found that Progesterone supplements in the first trimester of pregnancy do NOT improve outcomes in women with a history of unexplained recurrent miscarriages (see www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/information/research/the-promise-trial/).
BUT i find that it does give a degree of reassurance though that you're actively doing something, so even if it doesn't physically work, it sure helps mentally.
good luck x

almmummy Tue 01-Mar-16 14:11:29

Two lots of Cyclogest (no aspirin) and two successful pregnancies after the first MMC. Will never know if it made the difference but it was nice to feel like I was doing 'something'

brookeberry Tue 01-Mar-16 14:14:19

Hi Lindsey, after 3 mcs I was given blood tests and no causes were found. I was prescribed 400mg cyclogest from the moment I fell pregnant again up until 12 weeks, and then I went onto 75mg aspirin. I'm now 33 weeks with DC1 and all is going well. It's all possible smile

Floweroct2 Tue 01-Mar-16 16:13:07

Hi I've had 3 miscarriages, on my third pregnancy I was taking aspirin and cyclogest but still miscarried, had all the usual tests and all came back fine. I saw prof Brosens at Coventry implantation clinic (lots of info on the rmc thread about the clinic). They gave protocol of cyclogest from bfp followed by heparin from early scan. In the end I needed ivf but was given heparin and cyclogest from transfer followed by progynova and something else sorry forgotten what it was but I'm now 28 weeks. I think there's a split opinion on aspirin. Hope everything goes ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now