Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chest / throat infection at 35wks - is it dangerous for baby?

(5 Posts)
emmac3616 Mon 29-Feb-16 16:34:46

I am coming up for 35wks and after feeling pretty awful before bed last night I've woken up feeling totally dreadful. Excruciating to swallow and coughing up yellow cr&p (tmi sorry)! High temp, exhausted and headache and earache. Managed to get a GP appointment this morning and she instantly signed me off for a week, and gave me some amoxicillin. I feel so ill though I'm frightened it could harm the baby? Does anyone know about this? I'm panicking now and it's setting my health anxiety off big style, which hasn't been a problem for years!

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!

sallykins123 Mon 29-Feb-16 21:38:50

Relax, honestly don't worry. I had a bad, bad cold at 34 weeks, baby Was fine although I wasn't! Just because you feel groggy with this it doesn't mean baby will too. They are in their little protected bubble, oblivious that mum has a sore throat and chest. As long as your temp isn't an actual fever then you and baby will be fine.

Because you are growing a person inside you, any illness is bound to take it out of you that bit more. Don't stress! smile

gunting Mon 29-Feb-16 21:57:35

My pregnancy was plagued with infections.

I had a throat infection at 4 weeks, 7 utis, one kidney infection and to top it all off I went into labour and gave birth with an ear infection..

Ds is 4 months old and he was 10lb at birth so it certainly didn't cause him any harm!

Best of luck

LBOCS2 Mon 29-Feb-16 22:01:49

I had a sinus infection at 8 weeks and then had whooping cough when I gave birth in my last pregnancy. She's now 3 and absolutely fine.

This time around I currently have a horrendous cold/fluey/viral thing - I'm 34 weeks. Not sleeping properly because of the coughing and temperature and generally feel crap. I'm just managing my temperature using paracetamol (that's key) and riding through the symptoms. Babies are generally pretty resilient and doctors are likely to err on the side of caution rather than anything else when prescribing during pregnancy. Look after yourself but don't worry too much.

emmac3616 Tue 01-Mar-16 01:51:10

Thank you all, that's so reassuring! I think my sense of perspective is a bit compromised due to feeling so rubbish... THANK YOU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now