Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help Mini owners. deciding on changing my car.

(12 Posts)
Rosi393 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:33:27

Hi changing my car. Would love a mini. DH isn't for the idea. Thinks they are too small. I'm sure with first baby in June. Have ordered egg pram and cabriofix car seat and base. Any mini owners have any advice/ experience they could share. Thanks ladies.

Rosi393 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:38:36

I'm *due

BennyTheBall Sun 28-Feb-16 14:41:45

I have a new mini and much as I completely love it, I would not get one with a baby.

I am only talking about mine though - it's a 3 door Cooper. The boot is tiny and you could only do a car seat (realistically) in the front seat. The back has Isofix but it would be a huge faff putting a child in the back.

umiaisha Sun 28-Feb-16 14:47:54

I had one with 2 kids. My buggy wouldn't fit in he boot so I used to split the back seat and slide it in that way.

Probably not the most practical car, but with one child really can't see that it would be a big problem. I have a fiat 500 with a baby and 2 kids and manage to fit them in plus a bugaboo and 2 scooters!!

Issie339 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:56:01

I have a Mini Countryman (the bigger one) and it's great with kids. I bought it a few months after DD arrived in 2013 and I realised I couldn't fit the buggy in the boot of my Fiat 500 Abarth (which I loved!!) It's very roomy and practical plus I like the slightly retro interior with the cool dash, leather seats etc. I have the type S and it's very nippy too. You can easily fit a fairly bulky buggy in the boot. Would definitely recommend it with kids.

Dixiechick17 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:58:59

I haven't got one, but I have two friends that have them and their babies are 8/9 months old, both have just got rid in favour of something more practical as they were struggling with their Minis.

JellyTeapot Sun 28-Feb-16 16:11:58

I had a three door Mini Cooper and could fit my buggy base in the boot which was fine while I was using the car seat but didn't work once DC was too big and needed to be in the proper buggy seat. Also getting the car seat in and out was a major pain at times because of how far I needed to open the car door. Without parent and child parking it was practically impossible and I still moan about the time I had to put him in the car via the boot because someone parked too close to me!

DontKillMyVibe Sun 28-Feb-16 17:10:18

I wouldn't do it OP. I have a mini and am currently 4 months pregnant with first DC. Will be trading it in for something bigger. I have concerns as to whether or not I'll be able to get in and out of it and fit behind the wheel in later pregnancy stages grin

lilac3033 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:03:13

We ditched our Mini (which we LOVED) when I was pregnant with DD. As much as I loved it, it was not even remotely practical. Lovely to drive, maybe a good second car with older kids but for the reasons above it just doesn't go with a baby. We got a Honda Civic afterwards, which is perfect!

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 28-Feb-16 22:11:25

I had a 3 door Mini when DS was born but it was a pain tbh. I had to take the wheels off the pram to fit it in the boot and then there was the awkward bending to get DS in and out of the back.
I moved into a bigger car after about 6 months.

baby3forme Sun 28-Feb-16 22:19:38

I have a mini clubman I already have two older children aged 10 & 7 and I won't be changing my car once baby arrives. The boot is big enough for my pram and school bags etc. Although this is only my car for school runs etc so won't be using at weekends we will use our bigger car x

Madelinehatter Sun 28-Feb-16 22:32:04

Ah yes. I had a mini pre kids. Lovely car. I thought I would manage when DC1 came along.....no. Could maybe squeeze her in but not the pram or any shopping. We ended up trading it in for a citroen Picasso! Not a lovely car but sooooooo practical. Now I have 2 kids and as they grow you need the space for them plus prams plus shopping ....then if you go on holiday.

I love minis but hopeless for kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now