Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help. I'm 'ready to pop' at 31 weeks

(19 Posts)
Lazaringo Sun 28-Feb-16 12:27:39

I have spent the last week in a total panic. I am 31 weeks but everyone assumes I'm days from labour. A waitress in a restaurant looked horrified when I told her how long I had to go and gasped 'you are going to be enormous'. This combined with my mother in law's constant swipes about 'beached whales' and 'needing a forklift truck' to get me to the hospital and I'm pretty down. I was 9 stone 3 on the day of IVF egg transfer and about 9.7 on the day I got my positive result. At 31 weeks I am 11 stone 12. I am only 5 foot 2 and haven't gained anywhere else (I am all bump). At 28 weeks I measured 29 cm though I doubt the accuracy of this because of my hugeness. Anaemia coupled with extremely low blood pressure means that exercise is a challenge and I tend to faint if upright too long. I have one large (8cmx8cm) and one smaller fibroid and my biggest worry is that the baby as she's getting bigger will run out of space and I'll deliver early. Does being too big now raise my chances of preterm delivery? Is there anything I can do over last 10 weeks to help matters? And does anyone have any tips for shutting up the countless strangers who feel inclined to point out how massive I am? If the bump doesn't explode I think my head just might!

spacefrog35 Sun 28-Feb-16 12:33:49

The size of your bump has almost nothing to do with the health of your baby. It also has almost no bearing on when you will deliver.

I have no witty comebacks but people can be so rude to pregnant women & not even see what they're saying is wrong. It's really hard to keep your temper with them but they don't mean any harm flowers

Lazaringo Sun 28-Feb-16 12:37:14

I hear you - some of the comments have been unbelievable. 'Are you pregnant or just really fat?' Was my favourite. What if I hadnt been pregnant??!! I suppose you just have to laugh really but it's so easy to get yourself worked up isn't it.

wonkylegs Sun 28-Feb-16 12:39:20

I'm 30weeks tomorrow and when I tell people I'm due in May they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm only 4'11 and it's all huge bump.
I was like this with my son. This time I have gestational diabetes but all scans show that despite looking huge, baby is pretty much on the 50%centile.
With our son my waters broke at 36weeks so I'm expecting an arrival from any point after that with this one. He was 7lb - long but scrawny.
I would speak to your MW/Consultant about your concerns even if it's just to set your mind at rest.

Reebok Sun 28-Feb-16 12:41:58

Can completely sympathize with you...also 31 weeks and while I'm measuring small, am all bump etc people still feel the need to tell me that I must be carrying twins or I'm going to be huge. Mind you the people who say these things are usually not mothers or only have one child therefore haven't experienced showing faster in second pregnancies. I just laugh it off and say 'can you imagine how big I would be if I measured correctly??' or 'yes, but luckily I have a reason to carry all this extra weight' and stare at them with a smirk. Shuts them up. I figure they say it because I've shown much quicker in this pregnancy yet have lost weight everywhere else due to hyperemesis so my bump just sticks out! Try to ignore the comments. I'm
Sure baby will be fine. Xx

VagueIdeas Sun 28-Feb-16 12:44:38

You know what? All these idiots people who gasp with horror at a 31 week pregnant woman simply don't know or don't remember how big a full term pregnant woman has to get! Especially when she's short and therefore has considerably less room in her torso than a woman of 5' 9" grin

I had exactly the same problem as you. 5' 4" and all out in front so I looked gigantic. Both babies were born on time and weren't huge (8 and 8.5lb respectively).

FannyFifer Sun 28-Feb-16 12:47:18

I'm pretty short & was huge on both pregnancies, i think it's to do with there not being much space basically between my ribs & pelvis so only place baby can fit is out the way.

Onthedowns Sun 28-Feb-16 12:53:43

I hear you! I am nearly 35 weeks but feel huge!! Measuring on 95th centile too!! No diabetes! Have had one growth scan! People love to gasp when I say 5 weeks! They assume my dates are wrong or twins! Second pregnancy though so think my body already stretched! Midwife isn't worried about growth and Says they are very inaccurate it's impossible to tell how big baby will be from a scan!

wonkylegs Sun 28-Feb-16 13:31:13

Actually most of the gasps have been from medical professionals as a large chunk of our friends are Drs including obs consultants (who have helpfully offered to deliver the baby - umm not if you ever want to go to the pub together again hmm)
I know I look huge but that's just how I carry babies I guess, I suspect because I'm tiny it's all relative. I think it's easier second time round as I know this is how I look so it's not stressing me out.

Frank85 Sun 28-Feb-16 13:42:56

Sit on them

novemberchild Sun 28-Feb-16 13:46:35

5'4" as well here, and had a 10lb baby at 41 + 3. I was gigantic from early on - I went on holiday at 24 weeks and I kept getting comments about having my baby on the plane etc etc.

Dixiechick17 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:01:58

I had a exact same! I am 5ft 1, my comment back to them was "I'm short, where else is this baby going to go other than out?" Had people ask if I was expecting twins, I was 8 stone pre pregnancy and went up to 12 stone, I really was all bump and water.

Try and ignore them, I know it's hard.

jellycat1 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:41:46

I had a 10 1/2 lb baby last time and didn't look particularly massive and this time I look feckin huge but scans etc say he's pretty average! It all depends how your uterus is positioned really. Just ignore all the idiots. The comments and advice continue all through parenthood so it's good practice to start now!

5minutestobed Sun 28-Feb-16 14:46:28

I'm 5ft and gained 3stone last time. DS was 16days late, I wouldn't worry about baby coming early. I also had two huge cysts (8cmx9cm) which added to my size. I've had similar comments this time round though and I'm only 28 weeks, some people are just rude!

Mummyme87 Sun 28-Feb-16 14:49:39

At 26weeks people were horrified that I wasn't about to give birth. People are so rude. These were pregnant women aswell. In idea once a really fat woman said to me 'omg you're huge'. I nearly swung for her.

Ignore it all. The size of your bump means diddly squat

KayTee87 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:34:02

Ignore anyone that isn't medically trained. Either pretend you don't hear them or reply with 'my midwife says I'm measuring fine'
I've been told I'm 'enormous' - I've gained 5 lbs at 19+2 and this is a pic from yesterday ... people do not have a clue and just like to be rude to pregnant women.

KayTee87 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:38:25

Oh and I've also had a women who is same height as me (5"4) and 3 stones heavier (not pregnant) make rude comments about the size of my stomach hmm

ToffeeForEveryone Mon 29-Feb-16 13:05:38

Ignore what anyone says apart from the doctor.

I went on mat leave at 37 weeks in a complete panic because I had so much to sort and everyone was telling me I looked like I would pop in days.

I'm now 41 weeks and climbing the walls - well, eating mass quantities of pineapple / chillies / walking around trying to dislodge baby! On the plus side my house is super clean though grin it won't last

Bearberry Mon 29-Feb-16 16:20:02

Really think people have no clue. I'm frequently told how small my bump is, often in a worried way. In fact both bump and baby are measuring on the 95 centile according to growth scans (I'm 5'10so maybe that helps - although I've already gained just shy of 3stone at 32 weeks and was healthy BMI to begin...) I hate how pregnant women suddenly become public property, it's rude and enraging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now