Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help/Tips on getting blood out

(3 Posts)
Jenjen85 Sat 27-Feb-16 16:37:55

I'm absolutely rubbish at giving blood, at my midwife appointments this morning she had to try 4 times in the back of my hands to just get even the tiniest bit out. Is anyone else bad at giving blood any tips? The veins in my arms are too thin so they never try there. Iv tried the usual drinking loads of water before hand, keeping warm and hot water on hands but nothing seems to work. I think im a stone!!

dementedpixie Sat 27-Feb-16 16:40:04

Maybe you need a phlebotomist instead as they are expert at getting blood with their tiny needles. I had to go there once during pregnancy as the midwife couldn't get blood either

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Sat 27-Feb-16 17:30:10

I have this problem and don't even bother with the midwives attempting to take it anymore as it always fails and I just end up going to the local hospital to do it, after several painful attempts by the midwives. So they've just agreed that can go straight to pathology from now on and get it done there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now