Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring Small at 34 week appointment

(10 Posts)
Chow82 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:02:46

I have just been for my 34 week appointment and midwife says growth has only increased by 1/2 cm in three weeks and measuring 32cm. Was 31 1/2 at 31 week appointment. I have been referred for a growth scan but not until next week and I am very worried.

They were worried I may have leaked some fluid at 31 weeks but tests came back negative but they did not scan to check fluid levels. Apparently scans were very busy and they were like gold dust to get so wasn't referred.

Has anyone experienced this? Very worried and concerned sad

Murphyslaw21 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:10:41

Don't worry.

I was told all the way along BIG baby. Even looking a c section as possibly to big.

I had scan after scan. When she arrived she was 6lb. Tiny .

The scans are not 100% right they are montioring you, just don't stress

SweepTheHalls Fri 26-Feb-16 13:12:44

Are 34 weeks I measured big and small on the same day! (Registrar and sonographer!). When re scanned at 36 weeks I measured spot on and had a 7 lb - 13 Oz baby on her due date...... so I really wouldn't worry too much!

Chow82 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:19:22

Thanks both, trying to remain calm and not stress but midwife wasn't very reassuring or helpful. I never see the same midwife, this is my fifth different midwife which i dont think helps.

But reassuring to hear others have had measurements which dont match final baby weights.

Murphyslaw21 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:27:34

I know so many people that had similar results.

Baby too big too small. And it's surprising how wrong they can be. If baby is in a funny position it really can make a difference.

I even know someone that didn't know she was having twins until she had a scan at 36 weeks. None of her scans had shown twins.

Really don't panic.

As for midwives. I had all different ones every time. Some good some bad.

Just don't worry

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 26-Feb-16 13:32:30

I had two different midwives measure me differently the same week, I do think being measured by a different person at each of your appointments can mean less consistency.

The measurements can depend on lots of things - like the position of the baby. When mine was transverse I measured smaller. I was sent for a growth scan, baby had decided to go head down and was deemed to be exactly 'average' in all measurements.

Chow82 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:58:53

Yes I think having different midwifes does make a big difference. I have calmed down a bit after these posts and talking to my husband. He has commented that bump has spread side wards where as before I was carrying very forward so may just be different shape.

Baby is active and often moves so much he bulges out of my tum. I think this is why before I had not been worried about size as he felt big and strong. just need to stay calm for bubba now

Thanks everyone

almmummy Fri 26-Feb-16 15:26:31

The tape measurements are not very accurate but also babies are sometimes just small. My measurements tailed off at around 34 weeks last time and triggered all sorts of scans and extra checks, a high risk birth and even extra monitoring this time around. She was 6lb 3oz at nine days overdue for no other reason than she is petite - the placenta was fine and she was healthy. Such a shame you have to wait for the scan though, our hospital has a policy of seeing you within 24 hours if a bump measurement has come up short. Can you check for cancellations?

Chow82 Tue 01-Mar-16 15:32:21

Had scan today and delighted to say all is well. Thanks for reassuring messages.

The scan in fact showed the baby is measuring large for dates and measuring at very top of percentiles for all measurements. In fact they estimate baby to be 5lb 13ozs, well above average - but am aware this is very often wrong!

thanks again

LittleMouseontheDairy Tue 01-Mar-16 18:40:08

Jolly good! Pleased you have been able to have your mind set at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now