Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

worried about blood tests

(10 Posts)
Everythinggettingbigger Thu 25-Feb-16 16:50:39

ive been having pains in my back and bump for around 2 weeks now. (27+2 today), I ended up in hospital last Thursday they were that bad being checked for pre-term labour, turned out that although these pains were registering like contractions, nothing was happening with my cervix so they were happy to send me home and told me to go back if they got any worse. I've just not felt right since, cant explain it, not so much ill just not right, don't know if its an anxiety thing, not something I have ever suffered from before. Pains are still coming on and off everyday.

Before I went to the hospital on the Thursday, I had been to the Doctors the previous Friday with these pains and the doctor asked me to go for blood tests to check kidney function. I got my results back on the Monday which said I would need to go for a repeat of a full blood count. I went, and that came back again asking me to go and repeat the full blood count again. I went on Monday for this. I have now just received a letter asking me to make an appointment with my GP as soon as possible to discuss the results sad

Unfortunately the surgery is closed this afternoon for staff training so I will have to wait until the morning to try and make an appointment which is near impossible anyway.

Anyone else had anything like this or can shed some light on what they may have been testing for? or even if the pains and blood results could be linked?

TeaBelle Thu 25-Feb-16 16:53:56

My friend had a similar situation with a blood test (no pain). She was expecting all manner of terribleness but they wanted to tell her that her immunity to chicken pox was low and that she should avoid contact with cp.
Hope you feel better soon and that the results are nothing to panic about xx

Imnotaslimjim Thu 25-Feb-16 16:58:44

It could be as simple as you have a low FBC and need iron tablets.

I know some surgeries are difficult to get into, but I'm sure if you give your name and explain when you call in the morning, they'll book you in. If its urgent, dr will have told them and they'll be expecting you

KnitsBakesAndReads Thu 25-Feb-16 17:02:31

Iron deficiency is very common in pregnancy and would be picked up by a full blood count. It might be as simple as they need to see you to start you on iron tablets.

I know it's worrying to have to wait until tomorrow to find out, but perhaps try to think of it as a positive sign that they've written to you asking you to make an appointment rather than phoning you and saying you need to see the GP urgently. If it were anything serious then I'm sure they would have arranged for you to see the GP right away so that they could discuss the results and start any treatment you need right away.

Hope everything works out okay for you.

Sophia1984 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:26:52

Some surgeries offer phone appointments with doctors for things like getting test results. I'd ask if you could do that. Sounds like it could be low iron to me too. Hope all is ok x

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 25-Feb-16 21:10:58

Thanks everyone, really calmed me down I was about to drive myself crazy earlier!

Everythinggettingbigger Fri 26-Feb-16 11:26:12

well you wouldnt believe why I had to go in to discuss the results!!! a different doctor to the that had sent me for the tests looked at the results and decided I needed to go in to discuss the results.....she hadn't seen on my records that I am pregnant!!! so basically I went in to be told im pregnant, while sitting there with a rather large and very active baby bump!!

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 26-Feb-16 12:12:38

Wow, you would really hope that a GP might think of checking your medical records before calling you in to tell you something you already know. I'm trying to imagine the look on your GP's face if she thought you didn't know you were pregnant and then you walked into the room with an obvious bump! At least it all turned out to be nothing for you to worry about though. smile

Sophia1984 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:05:42

Oh my gosh that is ridiculous! So glad everything is ok though :-)

Everythinggettingbigger Fri 26-Feb-16 15:14:36

Thanks grin feel much better today now knowing it was nothing though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now