Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Protein shake suggestions please

(8 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Wed 24-Feb-16 15:15:05

I really struggle to eat protein through food.

My DP has a delicious Cellucor shake but this contains a lot of artificial sweetners.

So can anyone recommend any good raw protein powders suitable for pregnancy and how I can flavour them?

I've heard adding banana, oats and/or peanut butter etc. can make a tasty shake but I wouldn't know what quantities to use...

Also I am watching calories so if you think it should be a breakfast or snack type shake please let me know! Thank you!

cheapredwine Wed 24-Feb-16 16:02:30

Try Upbeat? They are in the milk cabinet of some supermarkets (Waitrose mainly I think, some Boots have them too, Coop used to but our local one at least has stopped stocking them). Not cheap but they were a lifesaver during IVF and taste really quite nice. Plus bonus of no faffing with powders.

cheapredwine Wed 24-Feb-16 16:03:46

Oh just to add OP, Upbeat are about 125 ish calories and 20g of protein I THINK. So quite ok as a small breakfast or snack or something.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Wed 24-Feb-16 17:29:39

That does sound ideal! Thanks, I'll look into it.

Littleredhead1983 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:01:33

I don't go in much for powdered protein shakes but for a "natural" version I'd recommend my sometime-breakfast smoothie. It's quite high fat but all good fats and keeps you full for a really long time. It usually involves some variation on;

1/2 avocado
Small handful of almonds
Big handful of spinach
Frozen berries
Mango
Ice water

I know it sounds really weird but you get a lovely sweetness from the berries and mango (leave out the mango and add more berries for a lower sugar content), protein and good fat from the avocado and nuts, and lots of great nutrients from the spinach. The avocado also makes it super creamy. I love it.

bananafish81 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:30:54

Purition whole foods protein powder

No nasties and really quite tasty

I like mine with yogurt and some honey

BettyBi0 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:38:49

What about adding a scoop of pea or hemp protein to a nutribullet drink? Banana, tiny bit of cocoa powder, a few nuts mmmm

lorelei9 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:51:29

I think Sun Warrior doesn't have artificial sweetener

I also think Upbeat has a very high sugar content....I think that's why I rejected it and take my own shake to work. I buy PhD which is regular,y on offer with Amazon but has artificial sweetener so can't recommend to you.

You could also just go for yogurt, seeds, nuts...you could nutrbullet it with some milk for a nicer flavour, hazelnut milk is nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now