Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strike and Scans

(13 Posts)
Noodledoodledoo Tue 23-Feb-16 19:25:38

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had 20 week scan cancelled due to the Junior Doctor strike last time round - I know this will be different by area and am going to try and call antenatal scan clinic tomorrow.

I have no issue if it is cancelled as support them 100% but we have booked additional childcare we could cancel but need to do it sooner rather than later and it is actually when I am 20+5 so not leaving much time in the window!!

Thanks all

MadameJosephine Tue 23-Feb-16 19:34:18

I'm a midwife sonographer and none of our scan appointments were affected by the strikes. The only issue at my trust was that some women having growth scans needed to come back the next day to be seen by the doctors as the clinic was cancelled because the consultants were covering the wards on behalf of the juniors while they were on strike. Dating and anomaly scan weren't affected at all.

Noodledoodledoo Tue 23-Feb-16 19:38:10

Thank you - am hoping its the same for us - it was what I kind of thought it would be as well. Couldn't think of any reason why it would be but you never know!

MadameJosephine Tue 23-Feb-16 20:17:01

Won't hurt to give them a call to double check but as national guidelines say you should have your anomaly scan by 20+6 I can't see them changing your appointment for a later one.

Hope everything goes well

Noodledoodledoo Tue 23-Feb-16 22:06:17

I will call in the morning - the receptionist is a bit of a witch with appointments and just kept saying that due to Christmas they were really busy - I was 13+5 for my first and due to age Nuchal was important - but wouldn't be budged!

My first was a pain at 20 weeks and we had to go back a week later but luckily my first scan was at 19 something weeks so plenty of wiggle room.

Have seen bubba twice since first scan due to having appendix out!

XL Tue 23-Feb-16 22:58:27

Drs don't have anything to do with scans, they're carried out by sonographers so unless you have a consultant appt after I would think you'd be fine

Mummyme87 Wed 24-Feb-16 08:23:56

Shouldn't be affected as it isn't a doctor that will be scanning you. Also anomaly scans can be done up to and around 22/40. Some major london trusts are doing them between 21-22/40 as much more likely to pick up problems and better gestation for Doppler scanning

KittyandTeal Wed 24-Feb-16 08:27:33

Like pp have said unless for some reason you have a doctor doing your scan (my 20 week will be done by a consultant) then it won't be effected as sonographer said aren't on strike.

You don't have to have you anomoly by 20+6. I had one of mine at 21+3 and they managed to pick up issues. The later the easier to image organs like the brain.

Try not to panic

Artioo2 Wed 24-Feb-16 09:30:07

I had a 20 week scan and a consultant appointment on a strike day recently and both went ahead as normal, so it's not even necessarily the case that a consultant appointment is a problem.

MadrigalElectromotive Wed 24-Feb-16 13:18:41

I had my 20 week scan on a strike day and it all went ahead with no problems - I think they were even running a little early! It won't do any harm to ring and check with them though. Good luck. flowers

Noodledoodledoo Wed 24-Feb-16 13:28:28

Thanks all - sounds like it will all be fine. Not had a chance to call yet today - toddler keeping me busy!

MetalMidget Wed 24-Feb-16 13:34:18

Had my 16 week appointment, complete with meeting with the endocrinologist, on the last strike day!

I had my first midwife appointment on a Sunday too!

MadameJosephine Wed 24-Feb-16 19:25:57

Interesting to see some hospitals routinely perform anomaly scans later, the fetal anomaly screening program recommendations say it should be between 18+0 and 20+6 with a rescan offered by 23 weeks if all checks were not completed on the first scan. We are regularly audited to check that the vast majority of our scans are performed within these guidelines (wouldn't ever be 100% due to some women booking for antenatal care later ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now