Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low lying placenta - bleed

(7 Posts)
Sunshinegirl82 Tue 23-Feb-16 17:26:34

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and just wondering if anyone has any advice/experiences they'd be willing to share?

I am 22+1 weeks pregnant with my first baby (a boy!). We had a great scan at 20+2 which showed baby growing well and identified that placenta was anterior and low lying. Sonographer said she thought it was just touching the cervix but not completely covering it. Re-scan booked in for 32 weeks but they seemed confident it would move. They didn't seem very concerned at the time.

The day after the scan I had some spotting, spoke to midwives who said to monitor it and call back if any more. 48 hours later I had more bright red spotting so went in to labour triage on midwives advice. Had an internal exam which seemed to prompt/dislodge some more bleeding but cervix appeared long and closed. Was admitted overnight for observation and released the following day after 24 hours with no bleeding. Doctors are confident the placenta is causing the bleeding and have said it could happen again. Have been put on "pelvic rest".

I have been anxious about this pregnancy throughout anyway and am now in a state of semi-permanent panic! I am incredibly conscious that until I hit 24 weeks they won't do anything to save the baby if something were to happen and I'm really struggling with the constant knicker watching and tearfulness. No more bleeding so far although the odd bit of brown spotting which midwives say is normal given the bleed.

Sorry for the epic post, just after a bit of reassurance if there's any out there! Thanks.

Junosmum Tue 23-Feb-16 18:38:03

I was also told I had a low lying placenta and had a bleed, about week 26 I think. All was ok, though it was really scary! No cause was found. By my next scan the placenta had moved. I had a vaginal birth, baby is now 8 weeks. Try not to panic.

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:04:10

Thanks for the reply Junosmum that is really reassuring to hear! Congratulations on your baby!

irene90 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:21:44

Hi,

I'd advise you to rest as much as you can, don't lift anything, and to not have sex, that can make you bleed.

Then I've lost a baby at 24 weeks but it was for an incompetent cervix. It could have been possibly spotted with an internal scan but the NHS doesn't do it routinely...anyway this is my sad story and I really hope yours will end up differently. The reason why I'm telling you this is because it was my first pregnancy as well, so i was quite naive and trusting what they were saying to me. Now after 2 month of NICU and having watched my son dying and heard all sort of stories i would be extra careful. I would do an extra scan, before 32 weeks, if you can afford it. That would put your mind at ease...and if something was to happen close to 24 weeks ask theme to do the steroid injection to develop the baby's lungs...I've seen babies born at 23+ 5 surviving. Plus this is out of interest but there is a very very rare condition called vasa previa that is not checked with the NHS, but the dignosed can be life saving for the baby. My colleague's son is alive because the person who did the scan was from Manchester and he spotted it, but they told her she was lucky he was experienced. Here is the link www.thisismy.co.uk/baby-vasa-praevia-pregnancy-scan/. I know I'm probably exaggerating..but i don't want anybody to lose a baby for something that could be easily prevented. It is just unbearable.

Grizzer Tue 23-Feb-16 19:23:45

I had low anterior placenta too. Had 3 big bleeds (felt big to me anyway having had 3 previous mcs!) Only happened when I went to the toilet though, basically wee'd blood. Very scary but had no affect on the baby who is now 8 weeks. Placenta had moved by 20 week scan & I had vaginal birth too. Similar stories Juno!

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:03:26

Thanks for the replies.

I got myself signed off work after the bleed so am now resting at home until at least 26 weeks. I was particularly concerned about an incompetent cervix and specifically asked about it but when I was examined they said it was long, closed and looks competent.

I did have a further scan last week (already booked as baby was in a funny position at 20 week scan do they couldn't get one of the measurements). Sonographer at that scan confirmed that there was evidence of a small bleed from the placenta so it seems all the evidence points to the placenta being the culprit.

I am seeing my midwife again on Thursday so I think I'll request that they refer me to the consultant for at least one meeting to discuss the implications of the placenta causing issues and will specifically ask about vasa previa.

I mentioned steroids to the doctor, they said they would only give the, if they believed it would be necessary to deliver the baby early which would only happen if I had a very significant bleed that didn't stop. I'm hoping I don't get anymore bleeding but if I do I will push them on the steroid point.

Grizzer - I only had spotting on wiping, actual bleed was prompted by internal exam! Really glad to hear all worked out well for you and congrats on the baby!

Sunshinegirl82 Fri 09-Sep-16 23:19:28

Just in case anyone comes across this thread when looking for information I wanted to update.

I had one further small bleed after that mentioned above and remained off work until 29 weeks. I had scans every 4 weeks to check on the baby's growth (just in case whatever was causing the placenta to bleed had an effect). Baby grew normally and was born safely at 39+5. I had no further bleeds.

We had a bit of a stay in hospital due to an infection (unrelated to the placenta issues) but we now have a very healthy and happy 11 week old baby boy.

Hope this helps someone going through the same thing, I don't think I've ever been more terrified than when it happened to me but it can all end happily!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now