Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing Hospital Preference

(4 Posts)
shipperssss Tue 23-Feb-16 14:57:50

Hi,

I am just after some advice. I currently have the choice of giving birth at two hospitals (that are within my local trust), Durham University which is around 15 miles away or Darlington Memorial which is around 30 miles away from me.

Obviously I have currently chosen Durham, it is where my sisters both gave birth and it is closest (out of these options) but both of these hospitals are labour wards and reading some of the statistics about their performance they both worry me slightly.

I am currently 'low risk' at 29 weeks and would actually like to give birth at the RVI in Newcastle. This is around 15 miles away from me and has a MWL birthing unit attached to the hospital. So if for any reason I need to be on the labour ward it is literally a lift ride away.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change my preference to a hospital that isn't supported by my local trust. I was told by a midwife that they would not be able to support me if I picked the RVI but I don't see what difference this would make as I am yet to see the same midwife twice in my pregnancy.

Can anyone tell me the practicality of picking this hospital and what I would have to do to make them aware that I exist?

Thanks!

StormTr00per Tue 23-Feb-16 15:20:28

Hi, I could be wrong but I think you are allowed to choose whatever hospital you want. According to the "which" listing you can give birth there even if you're not in the catchment area
www.which.co.uk/birth-choice/units/RTD02-amu-newcastle-birthing-centre-royal-victoria-infirmary-newcastle

If that's any help! X

shipperssss Tue 23-Feb-16 15:39:28

Thanks for the link StormTr00per that helps!

Whynotnowbaby Tue 23-Feb-16 16:42:51

I had my first in a different county to the one where community midwives were based and am planning to do the same with this one. It was no problem at all with dd and the mlu unit in a smaller hospital was exactly what I needed. There are occasional frustrations where they seem to find the different format of the handheld notes confusing or when I've had to have the same bloods taken twice because they can't communicate the results over a county boundary but no real problems and certainly something you are allowed to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now