Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I go to the GP?

(13 Posts)
SunnyG0507 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:47:41

Hello there! First time to be pregnant and sort of confused here. Hope you can help a bit.
Just got my pregnancy test positive (clearblue) as 1-2 week pregnant- should I contact GP now or wait until couple of weeks later? Heard from my friends the GP will not see you until you are 5-8 week pregnant. Some other people said I should contact GP asap. So when should I go to my GP?
Many thankssmile

wetsnow Tue 23-Feb-16 11:53:27

I didn't bother with the GP.

At around 5 weeks got the self referral for from my hospital website and emailed it. Booking appointment came through the next day and scan date that week. Much less faff than Gp.

wetsnow Tue 23-Feb-16 11:54:00

Congratulations by the way!

Dixiechick17 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:57:57

Every area is different, I called my doctors and they booked me a booking in appointment with the midwife at 8 weeks. My midwives were based at our doctors surgery.

Dixiechick17 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:58:24

Sorry, congrats from me too smile

butterflylove16 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:02:58

Congratulations flowers it really depends on your area to be honest. Where I live the GP won't see you as there's no real need (unless you're high risk or something I imagine), so I called the surgery to book in to see the midwife for 8 weeks. My midwife is also based at my surgery.

ohidoliketobe Tue 23-Feb-16 12:06:25

Yeah call your gp and see what the process is. You are dating from your last period aren't you? 1-2 weeks on clearblue is quite misleading as it means you got pregnant 1-2 weeks ago. But dating pregnancy is from your last period. So for you to get a positive test you'd be approx 4 weeks, therefore GP would be next week.

SunnyG0507 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:11:30

Thanks a lot! smile

SunnyG0507 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:16:28

Thank you all for your kindly responses! Will try to contact my GP first as it seems the midwives may be based at my surgery as well.smile

icklekid Tue 23-Feb-16 12:17:30

You can go and see gp straight away. All maternity services are different some you self refer some you need go appointment. I would ring gp and explain why you want appointment and then they can tell you what to do

wonkylegs Tue 23-Feb-16 12:24:10

Yep agree phone and ask GP surgery what the process is in your area. Mine changed within the 12 months of my last pregnancy (ended in loss) and my current one.

HarrysMummy17 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:44:03

My surgery has big posters up saying if your pregnant make an appointment with the midwife through the surgery.

SunnyG0507 Tue 23-Feb-16 12:46:57

Thanks! Good to know the process may be different depending on the areasshock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now