Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food poisoning and 13 weeks pregnant!

(12 Posts)
charlottexox Mon 22-Feb-16 10:50:24

Morning ladies.
The title is pretty self explanatory, but I woke up at 2am this morning and ended up being sick! I was then sick again at about 2.30am. I decided to call 111 considering I didn't feel like it was an emergency and needed some advice. They told me it was food poisoning and to contact my gp in the morning, which I have done but I simply cannot wait for him to call me back when my call back is at 2pm!
I jumped the gun and decided to call my midwife this morning and she told me not to panic and get upset because baby is well protected by the amniotic sac etc...
She said only to worry if there is fluid or blood coming from me.
She put my mind at ease a little, but because it's my first baby I'm so worried!
I know google is your worst enemy when you're pregnant, because I was googling so much stuff about food poisoning in pregnancy!!
My midwife did also say she cannot listen to the baby's hb yet due to me only being 13 weeks (14 on weds) and he/she is too small still.
Should I relax?! I think the clear reply is yes, lol. But all I have done through my pregnancy is worry, and now I am still in panic after earlier this morning!
I have only been sick twice (touch wood) so I'm hoping that's better than being sick loads of times!

MrsGlam Mon 22-Feb-16 10:55:57

In the nicest possible way you need to relax, Your midwife has given you the right advice step away from Google...You can get any result you want from searching Google but night not actually be correct.
Rest today hopefully you have stopped being sick and will be fine.

goodnightdarthvader1 Mon 22-Feb-16 11:05:07

I had it too around this time (dodgy KFC). Relax, you're fine, baby is fine. Vomiting won't affect it and neither will the germs.

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 22-Feb-16 11:46:48

You do need to relax, as long as you don't get dehydrated you'll be fine. Try and drink and if you can't then try ice lollies. I had food poisoning twice during pregnancy and my baby is fine. Think of all those women who have terrible morning sickness, they're ok!

Pidapie Mon 22-Feb-16 12:00:49

Definitely calm down and relax. I too had food poisoning really badly when pregnant, but it did no harm to my little one at all. It will be just fine, hope you feel better soon smile

PickledLilly Mon 22-Feb-16 14:27:16

Relax, you'll be fine! I had some sort if stomach bug at about 6/7 weeks pg. threw up spectacularly for ten hours straight but everything seems to be fine. I had noro virus when I was pg with my first. That wasn't a pleasant experience but it didn't affect her. Babies are really very well protected in there.

StinkyMcgrinky Mon 22-Feb-16 14:40:21

Relax, baby will be fine although I'm offering you lots of sympathy. Ive been in bed for 18 hours with some form of stomach virus and have only just been able to drink fluids. I'm 18+3 with my seconds so slightly further along but can still feel baby rolling around in there. Friend of mine who is a midwife said that baby steals all the nutrients no matter what's going on and is well protected in the womb, the only time to worry is if you're showing signs of severe dehydration (severe, not just a little thirsty) when they may suggest IV fluids but this is quite rare. Hope you feel better soon!

mascaraisamust Mon 22-Feb-16 16:45:31

It might not even be food poisoning OP. Could be a sickness bug, it's going round.

socktastic Mon 22-Feb-16 21:41:22

I had food poisoning at 11 weeks. As in proper explosive diarrhoea and projectile vomiting! I'm fine. Baby is fine. 21 weeks now and everything still going in the right direction for now!
Please try to relax. You can pretty much go on as normal. Pregnancy doesn't have quite as many limits as some people think!

MirandaWest Mon 22-Feb-16 22:01:26

I had food poisoning at about 13 weeks when I was pregnant with DS. Was annoyed as I'd only just stopped having morning sickness.

He's 12 now and all is fine so I would try not to worry too much

dementedpixie Mon 22-Feb-16 22:07:08

How on earth do they know it's food poisoning? It could be a random sickness bug. If you only threw up twice then it doesn't even sound like a bad bug.

Keep up fluids and eat light Carb rich foods when you feel like eating. Your baby will be not be affected

Shanster Tue 23-Feb-16 02:08:34

Happened to me a few weeks ago and I was convinced I was having a miscarriage....it was just awful cramps from food poisoning. It left me completely wiped out for 3 days after the diarhoea stopped. I'm fine, baby is fine. You'll be fine too, even if you feel really terrible now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now