Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what would a baby born I'm May wear?

(25 Posts)
delilabell Fri 19-Feb-16 22:41:02

So far I have got 1 all in one ,3 short sleeved vests and a long sleeved vest confused
would they wear a vest under an all in one?
Do they need socks?
I have no idea.

Dixiechick17 Fri 19-Feb-16 22:53:43

It depends on the weather at the time. Rule of thumb is generally that they need one more layer than you. My DD was born 1st June last year and we had a heatwave, so she spent a fair few nights in just a short sleeved vest with a cellular blanket or light muslin.

When it wasn't as hot she'd just be in a babygrow, there is a good guide on the grobag website on what to wear for various temperatures layer wise. in the back of the red book that you will be given once your little one is born there is now a guide to layers apparently.

eurochick Fri 19-Feb-16 22:53:59

You need a lot more, particularly if you have a sicky baby! I'd say around ten of each.

May can be cool or warm. I would guess that the baby will mostly be in short sleeved vests under a babygro in an average May. No need for socks as the gros have feet.

Dixiechick17 Fri 19-Feb-16 22:57:05

oh sorry, yes quantity wise you will need more than that. I didn't have a sicky baby but had a fair few poo explosions :D

I had approx eight babyfgrows and probably 12 vests in newborn and up to 1 month. I then bought more as I needed them.

Swollenankles83 Fri 19-Feb-16 23:01:31

Sorry to hijack, but I've always been confused about long sleeved vests - when are they used? I assumed I would put a short sleeved vest under a sleepsuit if necessary. Are long sleeved vests for wearing with trousers and a jumper for example?

Murphyslaw21 Fri 19-Feb-16 23:03:07

Mine was may. I went with baby grows. Lots of. I had about five pretty ones then around thirty cheap ones.

People gave me loads of outfits ,, dresses, tights, tops etc I gave up trying to get her in them and stuck with baby grows. She threw up on at least two a day.

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Fri 19-Feb-16 23:11:28

Swollen I too was a bit confused about the use of long sleeved vests until I discovered I was overdressing my son for bed by putting him in a sleepsuit and a grobag. Long sleeved vests are now my most used item as he sleeps in one with just a Tshirt over the top for bed. Apparently their little legs need to be free! (unless it's freezing or they're not using sleep bags)

I do also use them under dungaree based outfits or with joggers and jumpers etc as he is a winter baby

delilabell Sat 20-Feb-16 07:18:51

Brilliant thank you!
I bought 2 vests in newborn, the bodysuit in 0-1month (up to 9months) and two vests in 0-3. Do you think I should be buying all in newborn then?
So 10ish little vests and the same in bodysuits? Any need for cardigans?
Also, thank you for info about website and temperatures!

Needcaffeinenow Sat 20-Feb-16 07:41:22

Watching with interest as all I have bought is 0-3 months!

msatlantis Sat 20-Feb-16 08:08:06

My baby is due in may too and I'm confused.
Can you use grobags from newborn for sleeping?

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Sat 20-Feb-16 08:15:33

Due in May too and I have no frickin idea what I need! Am more in the not shopping camp as my sister has 2 DDs and 1 DS and am fairly sure she can provide me with everything I need, but watching here with interest!!

gunting Sat 20-Feb-16 08:21:56

Don't buy all newborn!!

I had lots of gorgeous newborn things for my ds born in November. He was born weighing 10lb 6 and only fitting into 3month clothes.

Now he's 3 months he wears 9 months so I'd say get a variation of sizes until they arrive.

Sweetpotatoaddict Sat 20-Feb-16 08:35:07

Depends where you live, what the weather is up to. I'm due in June, so will stick with what I had for ds1 initially which was around 12 babygrows ( all in the up to 1 month size) and the same of short sleeved vests. I'm guessing that inside temperature will be similar in June (unless a miracle heatwave) so will generally have on a vest and baby grow combination with a cardi of required. We only had a few vests initially but had to send my parents on a late night emergency vest run grin. I didn't think as a rule you should use grobags for under 3 months. We used some of the merino shaped swaddles which worked well with him.

lilac3033 Sat 20-Feb-16 09:06:25

You can use grobags earlier than 3 months, even from newborn. It just depends on the size of the baby. Grobags gave a minimum weight on them, so if baby weighs more and their head can't slide into the bag, you're good to use it.
DD was born last May, we used sleeps suits and cardigans or sleepsuits and vests. We use long sleeved vests as a staple, she wears them with leggings daily!

5minutestobed Sat 20-Feb-16 09:13:12

I'm due in May, baby will probably wear mostly short sleeved vest and baby grows. A couple of cardi's for when out although he will be in a sling alot so might not need them. I never bought anything smaller than 0-3 months with DS. At the worst they will be a bit big, I wouldn't go mad with the newborn stuff.
I also have a woombie swaddle which is like a swaddle sleeping bag for newborns.
Long sleeved vests under baby grows in the winter here but I live in Scotland and it can get freezing!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 20-Feb-16 09:14:19

Grobags normally won't work for the first few weeks unless you have a monster baby. Buy a seven pack of onesies and another of vests in newborn size and another of 0-3, keep the receipts and keep the newborn ones in the bag until you know the baby's size. (You'll have to do a speedy wash once you're sure you're keeping them)

pinkcan Sat 20-Feb-16 09:18:48

I would get about 6-10 vests (bodysuit) and 6-10 babygros (all in one). In multipacks. These can be worn as day clothes and night clothes and nothing else is needed unless you want it, other than a coat and a hat which you should get.

They can wear the vest and babygro as standard. If slightly warmer, just the babygro. If boiling hot (unlikely) just wear the vest.

gunting Sat 20-Feb-16 09:21:43

They have to be over 8lb 8oz to go into a sleeping bag but my ds hated them anyway

katienana Sat 20-Feb-16 09:26:57

Gunting that happened to me with a 10lb 9oz monster back in 2012!
I'm buying short sleeved vests and babygros. I think as the summer progresses I will buy some rompers style suits for hot days and make sure baby has plenty of shade if skin is exposed.

Murphyslaw21 Sat 20-Feb-16 10:45:19

Oh and just be prepared for the weight!! I was told baby was big, expecting 9 to 10lbs. Turned up 6lb. So hubby had to make a trip to asda and get load of tiny baby.

delilabell Sat 20-Feb-16 11:04:18

You lot are fab thank you. Am I too early to be buying clothe?(29weeks)
We don't know what we're having so I'm having to route through shops to find suitable. Most of the stuff is from the boys section as at least it's not daubed in pink!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 20-Feb-16 11:19:35

You might be a shade early just because there's a time limit on exchange of stuff if it's too small.

Murphyslaw21 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:36:51

If it's universal I would get it. Size wise if there are bargains to have get them for 3 to 6 months that way you are not having to run out at three months trying to buy more bits.

Mine was a girl but to be honest she had a few blue ones (which are fine)

StrawberryQuik Sun 21-Feb-16 10:15:11

DC is due in mid April and I've bought shortsleeved vests, babygrows (some cotton, some a bit warner) and a few cardigans to pop on/take off.

I've got all sorts of sizes as i've been given lots of presents from relatives, DM didn't realise 'tiny baby' was a size and not a brand and I also have a load of baby cothes from the Italian side of the family with Italian sizes on. I'm just going to take one of the littler looking vests and babygrows to hospital with me and one of the bigger looking ones and seeing what fits, plus a cardi of indeterminate size as DM is knitting it and keeps frowning at it!

Murphyslaw21 Sun 21-Feb-16 10:22:38

You can get tiny baby (size) in asda and tesco. Very cheap prices they won't be in them long maybe 6-8 weeks or so.

Mothercare was really expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now