Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trace of protein at 16 weeks - freaking out

(14 Posts)
Sophia1984 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:07:18

Hi everyone,

Yet another thing I'm worrying about! I had my 16 weeks MW appointment today and all was good - baby was a bit shy but we managed to hear heartbeat. I couldn't give a very big urine sample, but they found a trace of protein so are going to send it away to test in case I have a UTI. All ok. Left surgery, started googling UTI in pregnancy and now I am worried if I don't get it treated ASAP it's going to get worse and possibly lead to miscarriage (I miscarried last pregnancy at 7 weeks so am always worried about this). Part of me knows I am being ridiculous, but the other part doesn't. I am having to wee all the time, and hardly anything is coming out so think it could well be UTI. Could they not have put me on antibiotics straight away in case it is?

[and yes, I know the anxiety is the real issue here; perinatal mental health appointment in a few weeks' time and yoga and breathing exercises till then]

Gobbolino6 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:10:31

Don't worry. Many many women get multiple utis in pregnancy with no side effects whatsoever. Your mw has done the right thing.

Haggisfish Thu 18-Feb-16 14:12:23

Also, some peoples kidneys do get a bit 'leaky' in pg. drink lots of water and wait for results.

mrsnoon Thu 18-Feb-16 14:14:33

My midwife said that protein in a urinesample could just be a bit of normal discharge that's why they send it to be tested.

Gobbolino6 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:18:38

I also think if you couldn't manage much and it wasn't a proper midstream sample it's more likely to be contaminated with discharge etc.

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 18-Feb-16 18:18:46

Do not google!! I had protein in my wee at 30 weeks but it's fine since.

sepa Thu 18-Feb-16 18:24:09

I had a trace of protein in my urine at my last MW appointment (BP was fine and no headaches) so she was happy to re-test in a couple of days and there was no protein.
She asked at the time if I struggled to get the sample out so I'm assuming this may have a slight bearing on it showing something?

miniswin Thu 18-Feb-16 18:34:52

There's also a big misconception amongst maternity staff about what actually indicates a UTI - although not a totally hard and fast rule infection is generally indicated by white cells and/or nitrates in urine, which may or may not be accompanied by blood or protein - protein in isolation at those levels without other features is very unlikely to be UTI.

chandelierswinging Thu 18-Feb-16 19:13:51

flowers Sophia. Have replied on the pg after mc thread. Chin up love.

Sophia1984 Thu 18-Feb-16 22:22:48

Thanks everyone. My anxiety has been really high today but I've just been to pregnancy yoga and feel so much better! I rang my GP and she has said she will see if she can get the urine sample results tomorrow so we can get me started on antibiotics if need be. She also said the same miniswim about how their would be other markers smile

Xmasbaby11 Thu 18-Feb-16 22:25:21

I had that all the way through my first pregnancy. I had many extra tests. Nothing ever happened. I was glad they kept an eye on it though.

Inwaiting Thu 18-Feb-16 22:28:36

I had a UTI from 8 weeks to 17 and no one bothered to contact me re mine! Ended up having to go to my GP who sorted it out for me instead there and then after wee sample xx

Acunningruse Fri 19-Feb-16 09:52:31

Don't panic. Im 8+4, I had a Uti at 6 weeks which was treated with antibiotics and we had a scan yesterday and everything is ok. The antibiotics I was given were Ceflaxen, something like that?

frikadela01 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:20:15

I had a trace of protein at 16 weeks. Midwife asked if I'd had any symptoms of uti which I hadn't and said to book with gp if I developed symptoms. I didn't and have been fine. Protein alone isn't actually indicative of a uti and as pp said if it wasn't a mid stream sample it's probably contaminated anyway. As for not putting you in antibiotics straight away, there are a number of strains of uti causing bacteria that are now antibiotic resistant due to over prescribing. Best practice is to see if a culture grows and test for what it can be killed by.
Aside from all that utis are pretty common in pregancy. Increase your intake of water and if you do get antibiotics make sure you complete the full course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now