Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rib pain

(8 Posts)
Bluepigoon Thu 18-Feb-16 08:33:45

Is anyone else suffering from awful rib pain, and if so, have you found anything that helps? My baby likes to wedge its feet in my ribs on the right hand side and I've had on and off pain for over two weeks now. This morning I'm in complete agony and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through work. Paracetamol does nothing to help. Ice soothes it a bit but I can't carry that round with me at work all day. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

mellowyellow1 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:02:59

Yes I have this! The only thing that helps is swimming or laying on my left side, which is impossible when I'm at work so I kind of just walk around as much as I can or apply pressure to it which eases it a bit. It's horrible!

Bluepigoon Thu 18-Feb-16 15:43:14

It is horrible! I'm hoping it'll go away soon, but there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it sad

helsuki Thu 18-Feb-16 21:41:04

I have this rib pain too- and on my right side as well. It really hurts!! Unfortunately I don't have any solutions. I just try and stand up when I can and walk around a lot as if I sit down too long, it makes it worse...

PurplePoppies Thu 18-Feb-16 21:57:18

I don't want to alarm you OP, but severe rib pain can be a symptom of pre eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. A quick visit to your community midwife or maternity triage at the hospital can rule this out.

I had both conditions and rib pain was my only symptom. I tried to ignore the pain although paracetamol wasn't helping much and it prevented me from sleep but when I saw my midwife after a week I was put straight in an ambulance and my child was delivered within a few hours because we were both so unwell

The chances are that this isn't the case for you, but I wanted to mention
this just to make you and anyone else reading this aware

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy flowers

CommanderShepherd Thu 18-Feb-16 23:30:21

I only get this in bed when I'm lying on my left side. I think the baby is playing my ribs like a xylophone. Then punches me. Not fun

Alasalas Thu 18-Feb-16 23:41:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluepigoon Fri 19-Feb-16 07:19:14

Eek purple, how scary for you. I hope you were both okay afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's just the baby's feet jabbing me but will give my midwife a call just in case, thanks for the advice.

Thanks all, I'll try your suggestions. I hope everyone's pain goes away soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now