Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech baby - weird feeling!

(12 Posts)
almmummy Wed 17-Feb-16 11:52:29

So my DS2 is 32 weeks and currently breech. Has anybody else with a breech baby had that weird sensation that they are heading butting you in the rib all the time? There is a dull pressure a lot in my right rib, and when he stretches out it takes my breath away. I can't place what the other movements are at all - I resume they are arms that stick out sideways as the legs must be tucked away far down!

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 17-Feb-16 12:09:23

My baby isn't breach but I'm 32 weeks and I get feet in the ribs and all sorts! A head must feel very strange!

sepa Wed 17-Feb-16 12:32:40

My mum had a breech baby and said that my brother used to hold onto her ribs.
I'm sure I sometimes feel a foot in my rib cage. Pregnancy is just weird though

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Wed 17-Feb-16 16:38:52

My DS was stuck under my rib and I could feel his head moving trying to get the right way round. It was very very painful. Eventually I agreed to an ECV which was more painful than the labour. I swore I'd never have it done again. DS was turned successfully but it took about 5 goes and lots and lots of pushing and pulling. DS stopped growing after ECV and was born with cerebral palsy which we think was due to his cord bring trapped !

mrsmugoo Wed 17-Feb-16 17:02:13

Yes I had an ELCS for a breech baby that had been breech the entire time. His head in my ribs was excruciating and the failed ECV was deeply unpleasant!

24 weeks with no2 now and absolutely praying she will be head down!!

almmummy Wed 17-Feb-16 21:29:38

Yikes the ECV sounds rubbish - love how the NHS website describes it as 'slightly uncomfortable'! My mum is still traumatised by hers 31 years ago though I thought because she was in labour at the time, that's why it hurt so bad. Flip baby flip!

jusdepamplemousse Thu 18-Feb-16 11:35:27

Yes - this one was frank breech for a time so I had head under right ribs and two feet under left ribs hmm not comfortable.

She turned down on her own and back up and back down again and up again and so on and now at 37 + 4 seems to have settled head down on her own and started engaging. I think she's had a growth spurt and I hope now is too big to get back up again.

So don't panic, there's hope! I think only a quarter of those breech at 32 are still breech at term or something similar.

I found yoga helpful to ease discomfort. Down on all fours and doing figures of 8s sometimes jiggles them out of a tight spot and lots of reaching upwards arm stretches create room.

toffeeboffin Thu 18-Feb-16 16:41:32

DS was breech.

I used to rest a cup on his head! It was super round. He was stuck right under my ribs. No pain as such.

He never turned - ended up with a EMCS.

It was impossible for him to turn actually, as I had a heart-shaped uterus (discovered during the section).

dannydyerismydad Thu 18-Feb-16 18:51:13

DS was breach for a while. Nothing like being kicked up the bum from the inside.

Elephantslovetofly Thu 18-Feb-16 22:42:14

I'm 29 weeks and found out yesterday my little 'un has their head wedged under my left ribs and the feet are in front of its face (extended breech) - I can feel a lumpy foot sometimes in the middle at the top of my belly

I'm quite relieved in a way to know that the head is where it is, as I've been getting quite a bit of pain there. I don't fancy an ECV at all, so hoping this baby flips soon. I'm guessing I'll know if it flips because the pain/pressure feeling under my left ribs will disappear!

Dungandbother Thu 18-Feb-16 22:49:56

Dc2 was breech. Footling which is least likely.

Labour with DC1 was horrific back to back so I was relieved to discover breech presentation at 33 weeks.

I simply knew he wouldn't turn and he didn't. ELCS booked 39 weeks and I refused EVC as my consultant success rate was seriously 0%.

Went into labour 38 weeks and no problems whatsoever following EMCS

Good luck

almmummy Fri 19-Feb-16 21:58:06

Thanks everyone, it's great to hear your experiences and that it's normal to feel like somebody is fist pumping the inside of one of your ribs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now