Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Very anxious and very early!

(11 Posts)
SarahD193 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:47:54

Hi there!

I am pretty new to all of this!

I have just found out this week that I am pregnant (feels so strange even typing this!). Clearblue test on Wednesday said "1-2 weeks" and then I got a very faint positive on a cheapy ebay test today (Saturday), I then panicked and took another clearblue tonight which said "2-3 weeks". I should be around 4-5 weeks but my periods are very irregular/light. I have been through a lot of tests and some bad news in the last year (possible PCOS and very irregular periods as well as having some bowel problems and being very slim). This is such a shock as only last week I was crying over hearing that another person I know is pregnant and yet here I am but filled with anxiety and fear that something will go wrong.

I don't seem to have many symptoms (slight cramps, very slightly sore boobs, more clear discharge and a bit more tired/out of breath) but no real symptoms such as nausea. I am terrified every time that I go to the loo that I will have started bleeding. I just can't seem to relax. I have painful gas too and twinges on left side and I am just so unsure what is normal. I'm scared to even watch "call the midwife" (I love it!) as I feel I am somehow cursing this! Phew! I just need some advice/re assurance?

Thanks

KatyK1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 10:47:57

Hi Sarah!
Many congratulations! smile

Firstly, remember the clear blue tests show how many weeks since conception, so you add 2 weeks to that. So if you think you are around 4-5 weeks and the clear blue says 2-3 weeks that is sounding right!

I found the first 12 weeks a nightmare as I was so anxious. I had hardly any symptoms and convinced myself it was some kind of phantom pregnancy! The 12 weeks scan when I saw it was real was such a relief! I think a lot of people feel like this in the early days. The best thing you can do is look after yourself and try not to get too obsessed about symptoms etc! (Easier said than done, I know!)

Try and enjoy these early days, especially if you are not feeling too sick etc. The twinges all sound normal to me. Do you have a midwife or GP appointment booked yet? They can offer you lots of reassurance too!

Baby40 Thu 10-Mar-16 19:30:47

Hi Sarah I'm in the same boat did a clear blue and got 1-2 weeks, I've done 5 tests since then (all positive) and think I will be due around 14th of November, but I can't even talk or get excited about the baby as I'm so worried I will jinx myself and somethings will go wrong! I'm getting slight period type pains, and pain to the left side! I also don't have any symptoms like sort boobs or sickness! How are you getting on?? Xx

bobcat85 Thu 10-Mar-16 20:19:09

Exactly the same, three positive tests one being a Clearblue test on Wednesday which said 1-2 weeks. So I'd be about 4 weeks which is about right, potential due date on the 15th November.
Got my first doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon, but despite the positive tests and the missed period I'm not getting too excited just in case. I've had a horrible headache today and my boobs have been sore but they're not as sore this evening.

Baby40 Fri 11-Mar-16 09:20:58

I'm waiting for the doctors to call me hoping midwife will? The doctors couldn't give me an appointment for 3 weeks!!! Is this your first? Xx

Junosmum Fri 11-Mar-16 09:43:06

Baby, in some areas you don't need to see the go, you book straight in to the midwife, and they won't see you until 8 or 10 weeks. If you do see The gp, they won't confirm the pregnancy, just calculate your due date and book you in with a midwife.

The worry is totally normal. Symptoms can appear any time between 4and 8 weeks pregnant. By week 8 80% of people have symptoms, the other 20% don't really get symptoms.

The first 12 weeks is terrifying and exciting, but only for you (and partner?family) to health care professionals it's really uneventful and they are basically just waiting to see if the pregnancy sticks, which feels really harsh and cold!

Congratulations.

Artioo2 Fri 11-Mar-16 09:56:01

As Junosmum said, it's completely normal not to see a doctor for a few weeks, and some people don't see anyone until the midwife at 8 weeks. Even if you do see a doctor, the tests they use are the same as home pregnancy tests, just without the branding, so they probably won't bother doing one as it won't tell them anything new.

Your chances of having a healthy pregnancy are much higher than the chances of something going wrong, so all you can really do is keep reminding yourself of that and take each day as it comes. You're pregnant today, that's the thing to think about. smile

Baby40 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:06:43

Thank you all so much. This is my first so I'm extra paranoid because I don't know what's normal lol blush xx

Clarab0w Fri 11-Mar-16 10:19:42

hi baby, just wanted to chip in to say a) i was TOTALLY the same, felt like i'd somehow made it up and couldn't bring myself to acknowledge it to anyone lest i somehow jinx it, and b) symptoms are a bugger, let me tell you.

people will say all sorts about symptoms, but i can tell you from personal experience that they're not consistent, you might not get any, you might get all of them, or you might get them on and off. i had no real symptoms besides occasional mild cramps (which i was convinced were imminent MC every time...). i had really tingly boobs for two days after getting my BFP, but they disappeared and i panicked. i was so convinced something had gone wrong that i paid for a private scan at 7 weeks, and everything was fine - the sonographer almost laughed when i said 'but i don't really have any symptoms...) and said 'you can't tell ANYTHING by symptoms, i promise you.'

around 10/11 weeks i felt pretty grotty in the evenings but nothing i could really definitively say was 'morning sickness'. around 12/13 weeks (when everyone says symptoms get better) i went off anything other than carbs and had zero energy.

i'm nearly 20 weeks now, so please try not to worry too much about symptoms, genuinely everyone (and every pg) is 100% different. you're so early on, they're probably right around the corner, but even if they're not it's absolutely no cause for worry (though of course you will, it comes with the territory...)

good luck!

Baby40 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:43:58

Thank you so much Clara! grinxx

Badleg Fri 11-Mar-16 15:16:38

Firstly congratulations to all you newly pregnant people!

I am also exactly the same in that I am so anxious. I have been through 5 years of TTC. With the past 2 years undergoing various tests etc. all completely normal. I am actually booked into the fertility unit on weds to discuss my treatment and get my drugs!

I tested on wed and got negative. But my period didn't arrive and I am usually clockwork. I have been feeling a bit yuck. So another test this morning and it's positive!!!!

I am now absolutely bricking it! I have wanted this for so long I am so worried it's going to go wrong. I know being anxious isn't going to help! But it's so hard!!!

I have booked a private scan for 2 weeks time which is 6 weeks pregnant as this is when you can hear the heart beat. My IVF consultant will do it and I may as well use some of the money I had put aside for IVF!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now