Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Painting while pregnant- solvent based

(6 Posts)
Rosi393 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:57:45

Hi stupidly began painting using satinwood which is solvent based. I was painting for approx 1hr before it dawned on me that it might not be safe for my unborn baby. I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I looked it up on the net and it states long term use can cause serious damage to unborn baby but avoid if possible. I am now panicking about it! Has anyone any experience?

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Feb-16 18:00:10

The world is full of pregnant women who paint their baby's room /do up a house when they are pregnant. Just like you. I think you'll be ok.

Eastend2015 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:06:31

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2531.aspx?CategoryID=54

NHS advice above- ok after 14 weeks but make sure it is well ventilated and get someone else to do any cleanup if possible. Currently spending every weekend decorating but trying to use water based paints.

Crumbles12 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:11:49

We moved when I was pregnant with DS so I did a lot of painting, as long as you keep the room ventilated it's fine and obviously I wouldn't sleep in a freshly painted room until it's dried. It works the same as other chemicals in pregnancies e.g. Cleaning/hair dye. Keep ventilated and it's fine.

Rosi393 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:13:01

I'm not doing anymore. I will just paint with water based. Dh is going to do all the woodwork, I'm so annoyed with myself. I just didn't think. Hope everything is ok confused

zannyminxoxox Sat 06-Feb-16 22:12:29

I always end up.painting when pregnant on baby number 3 and he seems ok and my other 2 were fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now