Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you start using 'pee mats'

(35 Posts)
sepa Thu 28-Jan-16 13:19:52

Not sure what they are called really, but when did everyone start protecting beds/sofas etc just in case waters went? Also, what did you use? I'm guessing for a bed you would use one of the sheets used when children wet the bed? Or do you just not bother?

DinoSnores Thu 28-Jan-16 13:27:35

I've never bothered and my waters have never broken each time until the baby was just about to be born.

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Thu 28-Jan-16 13:28:59

Never. Was induced at 39 weeks both times, but even still, it never occurred to me!

confusedandemployed Thu 28-Jan-16 13:30:26

Nope, never. Good job too, midwife broke my waters after 24 hours labour.

LillyBugg Thu 28-Jan-16 13:31:34

Only while I was on holiday and 35 weeks pregnant. Didn't want to lose the deposit grin. But at home, never. Your waters are not likely to go in a sudden spectacular fashion. The media has a lot to answer for there.

KP86 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:33:46

If you are worried a towel on the couch will be fine, and waterproof undersheet for your bed. We got a bed sheet anyway for post-baby in case of vomit, nappy explosions etc.

I never bothered with the towels on the couch but did start to bring a towel and plastic bag/spare pants in the car after about 38 weeks, just in case. It never happened but good to be prepared.

RapidlyOscillating Thu 28-Jan-16 13:36:26

Never. Mine always break somewhere tidy, weird but true!

LadyLuck81 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:40:52

I didn't mine went in the lounge both times. I was standing up.

SpaghettiMeatballs Thu 28-Jan-16 13:42:22

I bought a packet of Pampers 'Change Mats' for about £3 and put a couple under my sheet the first time round.

Didn't bother the second time. He was born still in his waters so would have been a waste!

HandbagFan Thu 28-Jan-16 13:50:46

I bought a packet of mattress protector sheets from boots on their three for two deal and started to use one in bed at 38 weeks (currently 38+5).

It's stayed in position quite well and no hot and sweaty feeling which I'd read about on other forums.

My midwife did mention last week that they can go with a gush and she'd recommend using something - it might never happen but I'd rather have it there than not and you can use them after birth to prevent blood / milk leaks onto the mattress.

Sexy, eh?

sepa Thu 28-Jan-16 13:52:18

I have visions of my waters exploding everywhere.
Most places I don't really mind about them going but I bet it would be a pain to get it out of the mattress?

coffeetasteslikeshit Thu 28-Jan-16 13:52:28

Never.

PenguinWatch Thu 28-Jan-16 13:54:07

I started using Boots maternity mats under our bedsheet on my due date. Fortunately DS was 3 days late as my waters broke in spectacular style at 2.00am. This time round I reckon I'll start using them from a couple of weeks before, just in case!

DefinitelyNotElsa Thu 28-Jan-16 13:56:16

I put a couple of the boots ones under my sheets at about 36 weeks. Waters didn't go until I was very much in labour in the hospital, so it wasn't needed.

We now use them for nappy off time with DD.

Yankeetarts Thu 28-Jan-16 13:59:34

I never did,my waters had to be broke both times

Wardrobespierre Thu 28-Jan-16 14:02:10

I didn't bother. I'm one of the waters going spectacularly out of the blue brigade. First time I was on the sofa, second time I was asleep in bed. Both times, I leapt up so quickly that my trousers and the carpet took the brunt. Nothing in bed or on the sofa.

maskapony Thu 28-Jan-16 14:40:48

I used a folded up towel from about 38 weeks whenever I remembered (which wasn't often). In the end my waters went in the bath after contractions had already started but I leaked LOADS on the drive to the birthing centre, way more than a pad could handle. So worth having something prepared for the car in my experience!

PickledLilly Thu 28-Jan-16 14:47:22

I didn't bother, my waters went as I got up off the sofa so the (thankfully laminate) floor got the brunt of it. What I wasn't prepared for is that they just keep on leaking and leaking and leaking. Last thing I did before I left for the hospital the next day was out the washer on as I had gone through every single towel in the house!

ChicaMomma Thu 28-Jan-16 14:54:00

never occurred to me!
Only 20% of people's waters break outside of the maternity hospital. Most will go during active labour.

Thenightswatch Thu 28-Jan-16 14:58:55

I never even thought about doing this, my waters didn't go until I was in active labour, or I think were broken for my first.

My midwife has told me usually labour starts with contractions in her experience

SparklyTinselTits Thu 28-Jan-16 14:59:54

I didn't bother with them. Mine broke as I stood up from the bed, and even then it was a trickle rather than a dramatic gush.

yetanotherdeskmove Thu 28-Jan-16 15:01:19

Never. The first time, they broke my waters in hospital. The second I had at home but tbh I have no idea when my waters went, it was certainly very late on (ie in the few mins before birth).

Wendied Thu 28-Jan-16 15:03:54

I used Boots Maternity mats from about 39 weeks. My waters went at 1am whilst asleep in bed so I'm pleased I did.

lauraa4 Thu 28-Jan-16 15:04:20

I didn't bother. My waters were trickling out for 48 hours and wernt fully broken by the midwife until i got to the hospital.

Picnic2223 Thu 28-Jan-16 15:25:34

I used a boots one under my bed sheet from 39 weeks which s my waters broke in bed at 39+1 (and leaked all day) was very lucky. I used another under a blanket whilst sat on the sofa one I came home. Made me feel more comfortable even tho I never leaked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now