Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hot water bottle

(10 Posts)
Minniemouse94 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:59:06

30 weeks pregnant, dulling ache all day in stomach, can I use a hot water bottle? I've been told by one midwife not to use them and another that they're a brilliant way to soothe pains, your opinion ladies?smile

sepa Tue 26-Jan-16 21:29:37

I would never even have thought to ask that? Will be good to see what people say

Inwaiting Tue 26-Jan-16 21:30:52

i've been using hot water bottle (with cover) on my legs as they are just so restless. midwife said it was fine

Avpixie27 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:33:22

You can use these microwaveable bean bag things on joints. I used it on my hip and back whilst prefnant

VocationalGoat Tue 26-Jan-16 21:34:58

I used hot water bottles throughout all of my pregnancies. Fabulous for pain relief and just keeping warm!

Heirhelp Tue 26-Jan-16 21:37:43

My midwife said warm but not hot was good. I did think this was a bit vague.

ammature Tue 26-Jan-16 21:55:15

I used it lots throughout my pregnancy. I googled it and said it was fine.

KnitsBakesAndReads Wed 27-Jan-16 07:55:20

At my antenatal class we were told that it's fine to use a hot water bottle on back / shoulders / legs etc for pain relief, but they'd advise not using them on your stomach while pregnant. Not sure if there is any 'official' advice, especially if you've been told different things by different midwives.

Artioo2 Wed 27-Jan-16 11:16:21

The advise not to use them sounds misinformed to me. The issue with heat in pregnancy is that it can be a bad thing to raise your core body temperature significantly. Saunas and hot tubs are not advised because you can't sweat and lose heat, but obviously this isn't the case for a little hot water bottle on your tummy. You'd have to be lying between two giant, very hot hot water bottles for it to cause any difference.

missybct Wed 27-Jan-16 11:29:57

It's about ensuring you don't raise your overall core temperature as this can harm the baby - which you are unlikely to do placing a hot water bottle (or even warm) even on the bump itself (although I probably would draw the line at placing on the actual bump!). Could you put it towards your back and let the heat radiate slightly?

I'd only be concerned re: hot water bottles if you take them to bed and literally wrap yourself up so tight no air can escape.

I've been using them regularly and imagine I will have to do so for foreseeable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now