Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag list: “small plastic sieve”?!

(24 Posts)
Awfulknitter Tue 26-Jan-16 15:31:55

I was checking out my hospital’s list of things to bring along when I go into labour. Under the heading ‘Useful things if you are wishing to use the birthing pool’ there is “small plastic sieve”.

Now, I’ve been in an outdoor spa pool that came with a little net for fishing out leaves, insects, etc, and that made sense. But I’m kinda hoping there won’t be any of those things in the birthing centre. As a sieve is likely to be too small to fish out the baby, there’s only one other thing I can imagine might need disposing of and that’s… Well, there’s no nice way of putting it. The only thing I can think of that might need scooping out of the pool is my own faeces. EEEWWWW!

So I’m wondering whether there’s an obvious more sanitary reason that I might need a sieve. Suggestions?

strawberrypenguin Tue 26-Jan-16 15:34:32

Now you are right. I've not used a birth pool but that is exactly what the sieve is for. Don't worry about it - it won't be you doing the scooping and you likely won't even notice!

jollyjester Tue 26-Jan-16 15:34:46

Nope no other reason. It's for poop.

Childbirth is completely undignified but when your in labour you don't care.

youlemming Tue 26-Jan-16 15:38:10

Don't worry about it, I used the birth pool and didn't take my own sieve.
DD2 poo'd just after being born and once the midwife emptied the water it was just rinsed away.
They will be very used to dealing with it and as said above you probably won't even notice if it does happen.

Junosmum Tue 26-Jan-16 16:16:36

FWIW, I didn't poop in the pool. When I got out I doubled checked (I actually birthed on a bed).

middlings Tue 26-Jan-16 16:18:12

Nope, it's for poo. Plain old common or garden poo.

Didn't happen with DD1, pretty certain the midwife did a quick removal with DD2 grin. Didn't actually ask!

Welcome to the end of dignity OP.

Buttercup27 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:21:19

And for slimy gooey stuff too! Not sure what it was, but there was all sorts coming out of me before my waters broke!

CottonFrock Tue 26-Jan-16 16:25:04

Yes, poop-scooping. I remember bearing down on the final small plastic sieve in Sainsburys at the same time as another couple with a heavily pregnant woman. I won, but ended up with an ELCS, so we now use it for keeping coffee grounds from clogging the sink!

ProfGrammaticus Tue 26-Jan-16 16:25:56

Yep, poo. I knew as soon as I saw the thread title. Dignified, birth ain't!

Awfulknitter Tue 26-Jan-16 16:34:11

On balance, I think I'm more amused than grossed out! As somebody else said to me, dignity is not an item they tell you to put in your hospital bag...

I wonder what my husband will say when I tell him that 'poop scooper' might be one of his birthing partner duties? grin

ProfGrammaticus Tue 26-Jan-16 19:29:43

He might as well get started. He'll be dealing with a lot more poo in future...

Buttercup27 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:30:35

I'm surprised they ask you to bring your own though.

wickedwaterwitch Tue 26-Jan-16 19:31:13

You might think you'll have some control over whether you poo or not - you won't, sorry!

LucyMouse Tue 26-Jan-16 19:32:38

Can't believe you have to bring your own!

Eminado Tue 26-Jan-16 20:42:41

"I remember bearing down on the final small plastic sieve in Sainsburys at the same time as another couple with a heavily pregnant woman. I won, "

Hahhahahahhahaha grin

sootica Tue 26-Jan-16 20:49:03

Haha ours from DD2 never got used and we had it for sifting flour until DD3.... No poop (had a big pre birth clear out) but some other gunk not that i want to know! The best birth partner is one who pretends he didnt notice any shit anywhere..... I was hoping against hope i hadnt actually pooed on the operating table as i was being prepped for DD1 c section but nope, DH filled me in (they had to re sterilise everywhere....)

JellyBaby26 Wed 27-Jan-16 08:55:54

I pooed ALOT when I was in the pool but the midwife kept picking it out with her hands! Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to stop it!

Awfulknitter Wed 27-Jan-16 11:36:13

You've all made me laugh so much! I never thought Mumsnet would be so scatalogical. I'm off to buy my sieve.

A colleague has told me of the joys of chasing baby poo around the bath, so it sounds like it might not be a single-use item (as long as it can be sterilised...)

DrunkenUnicorn Wed 27-Jan-16 11:57:49

Ds1 is almost 13... I only learnt recently that I pooped in labour with him. Dh did a very good job of saving my blushes and pretending it never ever happened! grin

harboromummy Wed 27-Jan-16 12:59:22

Off topic, I'm giving birth in Coventry too smile

ProfGrammaticus Wed 27-Jan-16 18:21:24

Yes, a sieve in the bathroom would have been useful. Too late now, they're teenagers!

Hrafnkel Wed 27-Jan-16 18:25:57

I remember being in the pool (in my front room smile) and shouting 'I'm doing a poo! I'm doing a poo!'

The midwife was quick to reassure me that I wasn't.

Then I heard her surreptitiously say to her colleague, 'just get rid of the poo quickly, would you?' grin

JellyBaby26 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:45:15

Re single use.

I went to a MLU and there were sieves in all rooms and by the look of them they were not single use ....

bonzo77 Wed 27-Jan-16 19:01:19

Never used mine as had emcs after no labour. But it was well used by DS1 who habitually shat in the bath. When he has a pregnant partner I'm going to bring that up. Actually maybe before then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now