Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Remifentanil pain relief

(3 Posts)
ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Tue 26-Jan-16 12:27:56

has anyone had any experiences of this in labour? had an anaesthetic review to sort out a plan and epidural is out of the picture due to problems with my spine and I'm on high dose blood thinners (I've had a few blood clots this pregnancy) so a risk on bleeding in spine etc.
it was recommended that I have Remifentanil?

madsaz76 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:22:57

I haven't personally had it but it is something I'm thinking about because I know fentanyl is a much shorter acting and nice drug than pethidine and morphine. (COI medically qualified)

If an epidural out of the question it gives excellent analgesia and has a short half life so shouldn't dope you - though I suspect could make you high as a kite for the 5 minutes after you use it. I presume they reccomended a PCA? I like the idea of me being able to press a button for a contraction and be in control so would opt for this if I decide I need strong pain relief and there is a problem with epidural.

Good luck with your decision.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Tue 26-Jan-16 17:15:36

Yes recommended a pca, its an option I hadnt heard of or had mentioned to me before as its not regulary used in the hospital ill be going too so glad to hear of more options.
I had pethidine last time but too late (I wasnt examined and was fully dilated!)

Thanks, good luck too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now