Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st Drs Appointment during pregnancy

(7 Posts)
Dovetale Mon 25-Jan-16 17:27:27

I phoned my Drs surgery today and asked for a booking appointment with the midwife (i'm 8 weeks). The receptionist asked if I had seen the Dr yet and I said no, she said I had to see the Dr first.

When I was pregnant with DD I just went straight to the midwife (same surgery) and it didn't seem like I had missed out on any care.

What will the Dr do? Anecdotally anyone I know who has been to the Dr first and said they are pregnant as been greeted with a bemused "right and how can I help you?" type response.

KatyK1980 Mon 25-Jan-16 18:10:48

Hi! Congratulations! I went to the Drs when I first found out although I don't know if I had to or not! He was very nice but mostly just updated all my records so that anyone who accessed my medical records would see I was pregnant and gave general health advice (folic acid etc!). Then I made an appointmnet to see midwife 3 weeks later. Maybe they like you to see a Dr as often you don't see the midwife straight away and they want to make sure you get basic advice and get your records updated?

soundsystem Mon 25-Jan-16 20:30:09

Where I am it's doctor first. I found the doctor just said congratulations and asked a few basic questions (was I happy about it/folic acid and vitamins/was I a smoker) then sent me on my way!

Boomies123 Mon 25-Jan-16 20:47:18

I saw the genera nurse at the GP surgery first and they gave general health advice, filled in the referral form to midwifery and the medical exemption certificate.

Sanch1 Mon 25-Jan-16 21:18:06

Waste of time. Asked a few questions to make sure i wasnt smoking and was taking the right vitamins. Took my bp i think just to pad the time!

Nicknamegrief Mon 25-Jan-16 21:21:17

I asked the receptionist was it really worth me wasting the GPs time for a simple midwife referal and the result was is the GP phoned me and said he would refer me without an appt! It seems like such a waste of time etc to me if you are happy to continue with the pregnancy.

unimaginativename13 Mon 25-Jan-16 21:35:59

I thought people just had a GP appt because they did silly things like book an appt so the doctor can confirm they were pregnant after 105 positive pregnancy tests.
----
I went for a reassurance scan and she asked me had I had a positive test so I answered yes, she said do you feel pregnant I said yes- she looked hmm

Maybe someone could have said that on the phone and saves me £50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now