Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best Buy ever

(13 Posts)
JustineCh1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:38:04

Just thought I'd share. I've been a worrying blubbering neurotic mess since I found out I was expecting. I'm worried the baby's stopped growing and I'll have a Mmc I've been having scans once a week to ease this anxiety but it's so expensive. I'm 11 weeks and my husband bought me a Doppler from tesco online for £49.99 and I can now hear the heart beat myself so j don't need to keep going for these weekly scans and stressing myself out. I know it does t mean baby is ok but in my head it reassures the heart is still beating. I was dubious whether it would find the heart beat so early on being so small but it did. I can now relax just a smidgen and would recommend anyone feeling like to me to purchase one.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:47:25

I'm sorry that you've been so anxious, but buying these dopplers isn't a good idea at all.

There is a reason that qualified midwives generally don't even look for a heartbeat until 16 weeks, and that's with professional-grade equipment. You have no way of knowing if what you've found is your heartbeat, the placenta, or indeed the baby.

Furthermore, what if one day you don't find the "heartbeat"? That'll cause you even more stress, even though the baby would probably be absolutely fine.

With the best will in the world, you really need to put the doppler away.

JustineCh1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:56:59

I appreciate the above I really do but it does ease my mind at least until I can feel the baby kick. I've never been so worried and it's my 3rd pregnancy maybe the older I get the more I am aware of what could possibly go wrong. Was just trying to help others who are as anxious as I am.

TinyMonkey Sun 24-Jan-16 09:59:13

You need to seek treatment for your anxiety. Even with a previous mmc and early mc, I just adopted a totally zen this is out of my hands attitude when I was pregnant with my daughter. It is the only way you'll get through the nine months with your sanity intact. The one reassurance scan I had at 7 weeks reassured me for approximately 24hrs, and I think you're actually feeding your anxiety with scans and dopplers. Stop googling stuff, and ask your GP/midwife for a referral. Oh and chuck the doppler in the bin.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 24-Jan-16 10:00:45

I appreciate that your intentions are good, but as myriad threads on here have demonstrated, home dopplers honestly do more harm than good.

Here's some "official" guidance from Count The Kicks as to why they shouldn't be used for reassurance. They say it better than I can:

www.countthekicks.org.uk/mums/your-babys-movements/why-shouldnt-i-use-a-home-doppler/

Eminado Sun 24-Jan-16 10:07:06

Also very gently saying I think you should seek help for your anxiety as soon as possible.

And i am pregnant after a mc so i do have some idea what it is like to fear the worst.

JustineCh1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 10:10:18

I explained everything to my midwife 2 weeks ago and she said she will refer me to the mental health midwife but they are extremely busy so the wait maybe longer than normal. I do know I am being over the top and I really try and have the attitude of what will be will be and I can't change anything, that lasts all of a few hours confused

bittapitta Sun 24-Jan-16 10:11:52

Fwiw I also think you should ask for help from midwife with anxiety. Your antenatal anxiety could easily develop into postnatal anxiety/depression. Speaking from personal experience of depression after mmc and PND.

Good link above to Count the Kicks guidelines re the doppler.

CarShare Sun 24-Jan-16 10:36:13

I can see it from your PoV as I also have quite extreme pregnancy anxiety at times and have a doppler that I use for reassurance. I've set myself a max limit of using it once weekly. I try to manage the anxiety with mindfulness, hypnobirthing techniques and talking to my midwife about my anxieties. Don't rely on the doppler for reassurance if you experience anything out of the norm, I went in for fetal monitoring at 32 weeks despite having strong HB on doppler. All was fine but I appreciate I'm not trained to recognise a distressed fetal HB.

MrsGlam Sun 24-Jan-16 16:25:24

Sorry to put a downer on your post but these posts on dopplers drive me insane..
You need to see your midwife about anxiety it's not healthy.
I have had two late miscarriages my last one in 2015 my baby had a heartbeat 20 minutes before I delivered him, Just because baby has a heartbeat doesn't mean that everything is okay.

aimees75 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:42:48

I could very well be wrong, but until a baby is viable at 24 weeks is there much harm in using a Doppler for reassurance? Obviously after 24 weeks it turns from seeking reassurance into self-diagnosis, and therefore very dangerous indeed.
I had a Doppler I bought from an nct sale and used it once or twice before 24 weeks but felt it was better to try to manage the anxiety without it, however I appreciate that not everyone finds this possible.

JustineCh1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:44:41

I know it doesn't mean everything is ok
Sorry for your loss.
Was just trying to say it eases my mind rather than having a weekly scan and I have said I'm waiting for a referral regarding my anxiety.

zannyminxoxox Mon 25-Jan-16 22:35:31

I brought one when pregnant with 1st and 2nd baby to put my mind at rest no end of times. If it ressures you then why not smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now