Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rude to comment on the size of ones belly?

(12 Posts)
Sunbeam1112 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:19:35

I'm currently pregnant with DC3 and 31 wks. Sick of peoples comments about my size. I'm only 5,1 pre pregnancy a size 10. Over all I'm all front no excessive weight gain on face,arms. I constantly get people making comments am I expecting twins, I'm ready to stop. I just find it totally rude. Anyone else feel the same? It's almost just because your pregnant people can say what they like without a second thought.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 23-Jan-16 21:25:30

I got called "fatty" at a party last night.sad

Mrsmorton Sat 23-Jan-16 21:26:14

Pregnant women find lots of stuff rude. I think sometimes people aren't that interested in your pregnancy but feel they have to say something or you'll think they're rude for not saying anything.

SoozeyHoozey Sat 23-Jan-16 21:31:17

I was told at 32 weeks I looked ready to drop any second. Week later at the midwifes my bump wasn't even on the 50th centile. People can be thick, just ignore them or comment back on their appearance.

Sunbeam1112 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:36:49

This my current size. I also got called fatty from someone whos daughter was also pregnant but severly overweight. Theres a difference between being fat and pregnant. Wish people would think before they speak. It actually upset the daughter more as she had a weight issue and was using the excuse to call her fat because she was pregnant.she actually left the party quite upset.

Everythinggettingbigger Sat 23-Jan-16 21:41:47

I find when people say my bump is small gets to me more! I don't know why, I see multiple threads about people comments on how big but for me it's when someone says the opposite! Considering I'm actually looking like I did at about 28 weeks with DS1 than I do now at 22 weeks with DS2 I find it really annoying!

Jenjen86 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:44:02

I don't know why people think it's ok to comment on your size just because you are pregnant,they wouldn't do it if you weren't. I got it from around 26-34 weeks ("oh are.you sure it's not twins" etc etc) but always measured right for my stage and have been spot on with my growth scans so I have listened to that and not peoples opinions. It is rude for people to say how big you are so don't be afraid to have a good vent here cos we understand the frustration haha

Sunbeam1112 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:45:16

I can see why that might worry you aswell. I think each pregnancy is totally different with my DD i had a fat face with my DS which expecting im all front but my arms and face have nothing on them. I just it annoying how loads of people past judgement due to my size especially when im measuring correctly.x

Sunbeam1112 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:48:12

Jen i just think it must be my height that i look more stumpy if i was tallee maybe i would carry it better. Gosh if i wasn't pregnant i would kill if they commented. However when i just started showing and people asked how far along i was i took great pleasure in saying 'oh im not pregnant im just fat' the look on their faces grin I can't get away with it these days.x

princesspineapple Sun 24-Jan-16 10:43:02

I'm 32 weeks and have people saying I look ready to drop since before Christmas! Lots of "are you sure it's not twins" like the medical profession is still in the dark ages, and yesterday somebody told me I'm more likely to explode like a scene from alien than to grow up to full term confused
It's repetitive and can be annoying but I don't think people mean to be rude... Seems that there's a very limited list of things strangers/acquaintances/idiots can think of to say... And as long as it's my bump and not my quadruple chin they're referring to, I try and take it in the right spirit smile

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 24-Jan-16 11:15:38

I was called 'chubby' last night by a friend, and 'lumpy' a couple of weeks ago by my MIL.... My friend got told to F Off, and I wanted to say the same to my MIL (who I actually really like!) but I actually decided not to for the sake of family relations! Ill judged and a bit unkind confused - I would never comment negatively on someone else's appearance.
The daft thing is, that it is DC3 so I'm bound to look a bit bigger - but I'm stil in my size 12 clothes and have only put 5lbs on even though I'm 27 weeks.

Flossiesmummy Sun 24-Jan-16 17:56:04

This! I've had it from customers at my business, my neighbour, my parents' friends, MIL. You name it, they've said it sad

I had polyhydramnios with my first, plus she was 8lb 11oz so I was huge. I'm only 17 weeks but headed the same way with this one. Had enough of people putting their two pence in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now