Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it worth going to gp after ttc 7 months

(16 Posts)
Cordelia21 Sat 23-Jan-16 12:42:21

I'm 38 ttc#1 for 7 months now and no luck yet. I went to my gp last month and it was a locum and found him very unhelpful, he didn't ask anything apart from is everything ok between me and my husband! He just said that I would have to wait a year but everything I read says to go after 6 months if over 35. I am overweight and currently trying to lose weight but he never even so much as weighed me. I take boots conception support tablets and so does my husband (when he remembers), I have also tried multi macca this last month and now just ordered cassanovum. Should I go back and try my gp again?

brookeberry Sat 23-Jan-16 13:02:53

Hi cordelia, I think the average length of time to conceive is 10 months whatever your age. But I do know it feels like forever when you're in it. DH and I made the mistake of going for IVF after just 10 months of trying (I was worried because I was 39). That failed and then we tried for another 13 months and conceived naturally. Everyone's different, but I would keep going if I were you and enjoy it!

Artioo2 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:12:14

My GP referred me to the fertility clinic after 6 months TTC. I was 40 at the time, and actually conceived the next month. I think it will depend on your GP, ours is very accommodating. 7 months is nothing to worry about in itself, but I made the point that it takes time to be referred and have tests etc. and that I wanted to get the ball rolling, and he agreed. It's worth asking. It's also worth going armed with all the info you can about your cycle length and the history of TTC over that time.

FellOutOfBedTwice Sat 23-Jan-16 13:17:37

I went after six months and I was only 28. I decided it was better to have mentioned it and see what the GP said. She was really good and sent me for ovulation tests that month... Which came back positive and it was obvious it would as I conceived my DD that month!

There's another thread about this somewhere at the moment but also want to mention that the month I got pregnant with DD and this current pregnancy (8 weeks and fell first time this time) were months I had had Accupuncture for fertility and taken Chinese herbs at my local Chinese health centre.

Cordelia21 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:17:50

Thanks brookeberry I think I just wanted see if the gp could rule out any obvious problems and then I might be able to relax and actually believe that 'it will just happen'. I wish I could just stop thinking about it, it's totally taken over my life and I'm now starting to dread the actual trying part because my husband is starting to have performance problems and I know its the pressure. I've suggested we stop trying for a while but he doesn't want to do that.

brookeberry Sat 23-Jan-16 13:23:36

cordelia this also happened to us . . . sex became ttc and the pressure was the biggest turn off. A common problem I'm sure. I won't even tell you what we ended up doing, but it became a bit comical in the end. blush

Yes, as said, it's quite easy to get an ovulation test from the gp (maybe try another one?) and DH could also have his sperm tested so you know that all is well - although I'm afraid this can also hamper the romance!

Colabottle10 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:56:39

I'm 36 and OH 40. We were told by the GP if nothing happened after 6 months to go back to the GPs to start tests.

Whatdoidohelp Sat 23-Jan-16 13:59:24

It's 6 months I over 35. But your weight will be an issue in getting any referrals, drugs, treatment etc. The criteria is super strict. What is your BMI?

Cordelia21 Sat 23-Jan-16 14:17:47

I'd love to know what you ended up doing brookeberry?
Whatdoidohelp my bmi is 30 at the moment so I guess there is no point going back till I've lost more weight, it is coming down but it wont happen overnight.

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Sat 23-Jan-16 15:07:02

I was seeing the GP for something unrelated and mentioned that we'd been trying for over 6 months - I'm 37. Actually when I junk about it we had probably only been seriously trying (getting the timing right etc) for a few months but I was already going a bit nuts after a chemical pregnancy a few months prior to that. She immediately offered for me to have what they call day 3 and day 21 blood tests (referring to the day in your cycle when they take bloods) - this monitors your hormone levels (FSH and lutenising hormones I think) and also whether you are actually ovulating, so it's the starting point for investigation. I would imagine you can go and ask for this (though I'm not an expert by any means!). I'd also really recommend reading the book "taking charge of your fertility" and getting to know your cycle (when you ovulate, what the signs are, and when your fertile window is) as it feels quite empowering to know there are things you can do to help! I was lucky in that we had the day 21 test and never got around the the day 3 test as I got my BFP!
Sorry for the essay but best of luck in your journey smile

bluewisteria Sat 23-Jan-16 17:59:51

Have you been charting ovulation? Timing is everything with TTC and maybe you don't ovulate on the standard day 14? A lot of the time couples don't have enough sex and at the right time of the month.
Hugs

DorotheaHomeAlone Sat 23-Jan-16 18:45:26

I can't see any reason not to ask. St most they can say no. In the meantime opks from the Internet cost about £3 for 20 and will let you know whether you're ovulating when you think you are.

Cordelia21 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:39

bluewisteria DorotheaHomeAlone I have been charting and using opk tests for the last 5 months so I do know I'm ovulating and that's good to know and we have sex as much as possible in my fertile window but my husband works away during the week and I think this month its not going to be good timing.

Whatdoidohelp Sat 23-Jan-16 19:21:51

30 is the absolute limit for a lot of clinics. Some are dropping it to 28 though. Could you do opk's and try to work on the diet for say 3 months then go to GP?

I had to lose two stone to have ivf. Never in a million years thought I would do it but I did. Clearly I wanted a baby more than cakegrin

Cordelia21 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:46:00

yes I'll carry on with the charting and opk's. I got myself a fitbit so it's really helping with the weight loss :-)

bluewisteria Sat 23-Jan-16 19:55:59

I have had a great experience with Slimming World and it is endorsed by the royal college of midwives so you can carry on in pregnancy and it a great healthy eating program.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now