Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

vitamins / folic acid etc!

(8 Posts)
cally0 Fri 22-Jan-16 19:06:51

Hi all!

I've just found out I'm pregnant and my doctor said that when pregnant you should take a multi vitamin such as pregnacare plus (the one with omega 3)

I've been taking folic acid 3-4 months prior to conception and now I've had a bfp I'm taking folic acid + vitamin d daily.

I hadn't planned on buying a multivitamin like pregnacare as I eat a balanced diet.

Is it absolutely essential? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts!

Thanks xxx

VocationalGoat Fri 22-Jan-16 19:16:33

I took a multi-vit with DC1 but not with DCs 2 and 3. I took folic acid until the 20 week scan and always popped a folic acid here and there until the end of pregnancy. But if you have a nutritious and varied diet, there's little need for a multivitamin. Just watch your iron levels. Those can dip in pregnancy and anaemia is common. Snack on clementines, eat your greens -like steamed broccoli, drink enough water and know that it is totally ok to give into those cravings (cue chips dripping in fat for me!). Good fats are a beautiful thing and they are brain food, (and toast with lashings of butter is just good, so go ahead!).

Most of all, enjoy your pregnancy and go ahead with the multi vitamin. No harm. If anything, it will give you a boost, especially during those 'sicky' weeks where eating might be a bit difficult.

VocationalGoat Fri 22-Jan-16 19:17:13

Congratulations, by the way! grin flowers

squeezed Fri 22-Jan-16 19:25:59

I'm taking a multivitamin because of the combination of sickness and bland diet when I can keep food down. I did the same in the first pregnancy when I wasn't as sick. As others have said, as long as you've got a good diet then you shouldn't need it.

Fifi10 Fri 22-Jan-16 20:29:23

If you are taking a non-pregnancy multivit check the level of vitamin a as excess retinol is dangerous in pregnancy.

Pregnacare works it all out for you, so although pricey is the easy option I guess.

cally0 Fri 22-Jan-16 20:44:52

Thanks everyone for your advice smile xxx

Miffyonline Sat 23-Jan-16 14:58:39

I'm just taking the combined folic acid/ vitamin d pills...

Crumbles12 Sat 23-Jan-16 15:57:11

In my 1st pregnancy I just took folic acid + vit D until the 12 week point then moved onto pregnacare tablets. With this pregnancy the folic acid tablets alone are making me heave swallowing with the sickness so I know I couldn't manage a pregnacare as they are a lot larger so for the time being just a folic acid + vit D supplement which as far as I'm aware are the most important ones if you generally have a well balanced diet. Congratulations! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now