Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do the Snuzpod and Chicco bedside cribs look too hot?

(22 Posts)
fluffypenguinbelly Tue 19-Jan-16 20:31:41

Does anyone have any experience of these bedside cribs?

I'm looking at them thinking that with enclosed sides they might be too hot for a summer baby.

Also, how is having a canvas side any different to using cot bumpers in terms of suffocation?

This is my second baby and for my first I used a normal swinging crib with bars. It's not available to me this time hence the bedside crib being an option.

Lisad1975 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:38:49

I have the chicco next to me crib .its very spacious and has a mesh side which would let air circulate.
Just thinking actually that we used it for dd over last summer as she outgrew moses basket and was not ready for cot .
She did really settle in it and it will be used again I hope!
The canvas side is just material so I personally didn't even think about it tbh
It really was a great buy!

Lisad1975 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:41:02

I should also say that I haven't used it with side down and we never attached it to bed either though doesn't have to be.

fluffypenguinbelly Tue 19-Jan-16 20:59:54

Ok. Thank you. Also, is the Chicco as portable as it looks?

Augustwedding Tue 19-Jan-16 21:02:20

We had the chicco for an August baby, he was never too hot in it. It's very potable and can be tilted if baby has reflux or a cold.

Missdusk Tue 19-Jan-16 21:08:34

Not had chance to use mine yet as baby is currently 10 days overdue. The side that can be put down is mesh so not solid. I give up with all the cot bumper talk as some places will say having a bumper is dangerous as restricts air flow whilst other will say its dangerous to not have one because babies limbs can get caught between bars of the cot.
Anyway, it comes with a travel bag and was really easy to put together so i imagine easy to transport. I wouldn't like to move it around the house on a regular basis but do intend to take it as a travel cot when we got away in may.

fluffypenguinbelly Tue 19-Jan-16 22:05:42

Anyone have the Snuzpod?

mrsjskelton Tue 19-Jan-16 22:11:42

I have a snuzpod but no baby yet haha! I'll try and get back to you when I do!!

robindeer Tue 19-Jan-16 22:12:57

I had the snuzpod, loved it and would definitely use it again. It honestly never occurred to me that it might be too hot and I am a known worrier! I bought the sheets and blanket that they make too and normally slept with the side down and cot attached to our bed. It was lovely having baby right there for feeding through the night (and for my sanity, checking he was breathing etc....) I definitely recommend it!

Junosmum Tue 19-Jan-16 22:51:29

I have the snuzpod, though DS won't sleep in it! He needs to be closer to me than it allows to even contemplate sleeping (if he could be held 24/7 that would be his preference). The crib itself is lovely. I haven't worried about the circulation, one side is mesh so I guess that helps.

I doubt it'd get too hot.

MaisieDotes Wed 20-Jan-16 00:07:41

I have a Snuzpod, DS was born at the start of August and I never considered it too hot. There's no stuffy aspect to it, it's quite airy. DS was a big baby though so we only used it for about 4 months or so.

I'm 39 weeks now with DC3 and have the snuzpod set up again and ready to go!

Wellthen Wed 20-Jan-16 08:30:38

Sorry to hijack the thread op but I'm also expecting a summer baby and would love a snuz pod.

2 questions: what did your newborn sleep in? I'm thinking thin swaddled but if they don't like swaddling, do they even need a blanket at all at that time of year?
Also did you find that your own duvet/blankets crept into the cot? Or rather, how did you stop this happening? I'd like to sleep with the side down at first so the baby feels like we're co sleeping and to make breast feeding easier. Obviously I wont if we can't do so safely.

JellyBaby26 Wed 20-Jan-16 08:34:02

We have next to me, like others never considered the too hot thing. I don't suppose the sides are any different to that of a Moses basket?!

Would highly recommend co sleepers!

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Jan-16 09:10:16

I have the Snuzpod and use it with side down attached to the bed. I guess it's different from having bumpers in terms of safety as the sides are smooth and part of the structure? No chance of baby getting under, over or tangled in them. It's no more enclosed than a Moses basket, less so with the side down so don't see why it would be warmer.
I've had no issues with my duvet encroaching into it. It's lovely being able to just reach over and touch the baby to try and sooth them and much easier to just scoop them into your bed when they refuse to sleep without being cuddled

ChicaMomma Wed 20-Jan-16 09:27:09

I have the snuzpod. Never dawned on me about the heat! DS1 was a june baby and it was 29' the day we brought him home.. i had the canvas side down on one side (the bed side) all the time anyway. Absolutely loved it, and it's uber chic looking (which helps smile ) I would imagine both of them (that and the chicco) are infinitely more 'open' than your traditional moses basket either way.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 20-Jan-16 10:11:23

there are also bedside cribs with bars, if you want that.
www.amazon.de/FabiMax-Beistellbett-Matratze-COMFORT-Amelie/dp/B009WQFONG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453284643&sr=8-1&keywords=fabimax

Nousername2015 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:37:01

I have a January baby but we are finding that he likes to be swaddled. I got a gro snug, they also do summer ones and tell you exactly what should go under then to keep the temperature regulated. They arent cheap but well worth it in my opinion. I also have a gro swaddle which is quite thin and I can imagine would be suitable for summer use.

Miffy1979 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:44:32

For March baby we used blankets at first (he hated being swaddled) then onto grobags once he was big enough - just the standard 2.5 tog with a sleepsuit, as our house never got too hot. I am expecting a May baby, and have bought the newborn grobag/swaddle (gro-snug?) thing to use this time. It can have their arms in or out, and is fine for a warm room (16-20 degrees), but I think they have thinner ones for warmer rooms too (21+).

greenlizard Wed 20-Jan-16 15:16:53

I had a snuzpod for DS1. He slept in it on a cocoona baby to start with with sheet and fleece blanket over a vest and sleeper suit. (March baby - and it was cold!). By the time we got to summer he was sleeping in it when it was really hot with the mesh side down in just his nappy and a vest and it was fine.

It was a great buy - he fed every 2 hours for the first few weeks and so it was a god send. After that being able to soothe him with just a touch was great and feeding was less disruptive at night. We didn't want to fully co-sleep and this was the half-way. DS was a big baby so we had to move him to his own cot at 5 months because he had outgrown it by then.

Good luck!

SparklyTinselTits Wed 20-Jan-16 15:18:36

I used a Chicco next to me crib with my DD all through the summer when it was sweltering hot last year and she was fine smile

fluffypenguinbelly Wed 20-Jan-16 16:56:11

That's a good point about Moses baskets. I didn't use one last time so never considered how closed in and cloth sided they are! Thanks everyone.

Bexster93 Fri 29-Jan-16 16:45:36

My DD has just grown out of her snuzpod. If you keep the room temperature at the ideal temperature for a little one they shouldn't get too hot.

Loved my snuzpod, will use it again for DC2. Mesh wall meant I could keep an eye on her, and I guess also helps to keep her cool if you are worried about that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now