Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dehydrated and struggling with fluids

(21 Posts)
chandelierswinging Tue 19-Jan-16 12:42:43

I'm 7+ weeks pregnant and really struggling with perma-nausea, daily vomiting only mornings at the mo, thankfully and all day, random retching. Been like this for about 2 weeks now and am really not coping very well. Because of the n/v/r cycle I'm in, I am finding it really, really hard to take on fluids. They make me feel worse for some reason! I'm permanently thirsty, have dark/pongy wee, chapped lips and constipation hmm

I've tried all the usual remedies that are suggested, and worked for me in previous pregnancies (4th pregnancy, hopefully 3rd baby), but nothing is working. I am ever-so-melodramatically dying.*

Anyone got any tips on hydration and/or easing the sickness/nausea?

*Disclaimer: Obvs realise I'm not dying and it's the hormones talking wink but it's getting me down sad

DinoSnores Tue 19-Jan-16 12:48:00

I found things like Angel Delight, jelly, melon, cucumber easier as I found fluids hard but the texture of those things were a bit more solid.

If you are getting dehydrated, you may need some fluids at hospital though. I'd see your GP to discuss this, especially given your dark urine.

scrivette Tue 19-Jan-16 12:51:52

Have you tried sucking on an ice cube or having a lolly?

99percentchocolate Tue 19-Jan-16 12:53:04

I would see your GP lovely. I have HG at the moment and dehydration can happen so quickly. You really need to get your ketones checked.
Hope you feel better soon x

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 19-Jan-16 12:57:31

How much water have you managed to drink (and keep down) over the last few days? And how often have you been weeing?

To be honest if your urine is dark and smelly I would contact your GP and get an emergency appointment (assuming you are not yet under midwife care)

Maurice169 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:01:26

The only fluid I seem to be able to cope with this pregnancy is boiled water, topped up with a bit of cold. Sometimes I sip it through a straw, as it's warm and tasteless I don't even notice it going down.

Annarose2014 Tue 19-Jan-16 13:03:33

Whatever fluids you do take, mix dioralyte through. At least it'll help with the dehydration and you may feel a lot better even if you're unable to up the actual quantity of fluid going in.

DesertOrDessert Tue 19-Jan-16 13:30:28

Frozen ice lollies?
Cucumber, watermelon, other high water fruit.
jelly?
Drinking through a straw?
Or GP/midwife. Sounds like your starting down a route that might mean antiemetics or IV fluids. Please look after yourself.
flowers

chandelierswinging Tue 19-Jan-16 13:35:11

And now I'm crying and losing more fluid! Thank you, you wonderful, kind lot flowers Have made a note of all those suggestions to try. I have no idea what is going to work, but it's all worth a try!

I don't want to seem a fraud in going to the GP though, as I'm keeping food the limited amount, I'm eating down, so I know it's not HG (which sounds fricking awful). But if some of you lovely MNers think I might have cause to be seen, I will do. Thank you again flowers

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 19-Jan-16 14:42:08

Please do go to your GP, you have all the symptoms of dehydration and that needs treatment! Morning sickness can be awful even if it isn't HG, so don't feel like a fraud. Hope you feel better soon flowers

OhShutUpThomas Tue 19-Jan-16 14:45:13

Go to your GP.
You are not a fraud. Dehydration in pregnancy is an emergency. Make an app to be seen today flowers

Whatdoidohelp Tue 19-Jan-16 15:03:13

You are not a fraud. Go to GP. They will check pee for ketones and if your dehydrated you'll need a drip. Pregnancy can be very very debilitating, never feel like you should just get on with it.

99percentchocolate Tue 19-Jan-16 15:03:56

Dehydration is more dangerous than starvation lovely. My GP wasn't bothered that I lost 9lb in 5 days, they were bothered though that my ketones for 4+. They won't think you're a fraud lovely, water is much more important than food.

mascaraisamust Tue 19-Jan-16 18:56:29

Milkshakes, icecream, jelly, melon, soup anything liquidy! I've found it hard to drink, squash doesn't appeal, water is really hard to drink and don't do tea/coffee etc. I've had to fill a litre water bottle and ensure I sip it as the day goes on to monitor what I am drinking. Little and often.

mascaraisamust Tue 19-Jan-16 18:58:15

But yes go to your gp! No harm checking your urine, takes 10 seconds smile dont ever think your being a problem, if you are worried go!

chandelierswinging Tue 19-Jan-16 19:17:03

Couldn't get in to GP today sad but have managed a small glass of watered down apple juice, so that's something, as long as it stays down! I have extra padding on me so the lack of food is less concerning wink

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and kind replies. I am genuinely touched. It's been a shit old day!! But you've been all been a lovely light in it. flowers

I promise I'll try again tomorrow. (Drinks and GP!)

FoggyBlue Tue 19-Jan-16 20:07:08

Hi OP, I'm in the same boat. Just over 7 weeks pregnant and feeling so awful. Have been feeling nauseous since I hit 5 weeks but have been vomiting three days in a row now. I was thinking the same as you re GP but might have to bite the bullet tmw.

chandelierswinging Wed 20-Jan-16 11:39:27

Just wanted to thank you all again for your kind words and gentle nudges to see my GP. I am so, so glad I took your advice.

I have gone downhill dramatically, and tried the GP again this morning. I had not managed to keep fluid down since last night sad and have gradually felt worse and worse since I first posted yesterday. Thankfully the GP heard my story, took one look at me, and gave me anti-emetics and appt for review in 48 hours and has signed me off work for a bit to recover. I also have the possibility of hospital admission if he's not happy with my progress on Fri. He also told me, like you did, that I'm not a fraud.

First dose down. Let's hope it stays down then I've got to get on with rehydrating!

Thank you all flowers

OhShutUpThomas Wed 20-Jan-16 12:38:10

What have they given you? Glad you went!

chandelierswinging Wed 20-Jan-16 12:47:10

Glad I went too. Promethazine hydrochloride; 1-2 3x a day. This is apparently the 'first stop' and there are others to try if this doesn't work. Slightly alarmed by the fact that it's used as a sedative.

99percentchocolate Wed 20-Jan-16 13:03:41

So glad that you've been given something! If it get any worse and you need support the Hyperemesis thread is great and the pregnancy sickness support website is fantastic too.
If you don't get on with the meds they've given you then don't feel shy about asking for something different - there are lots of things that you can try.
Fingers crossed you start feeling better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now