Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bleaching hair in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
fairydust85 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:56:19

Hi all, I'm needing my hair doing (badly!) It's not been done since before I fell pg. Has anyone had their roots/hair bleached when pregnant? My hairdresser thinks it's fine bit I'm not sure. Am I best just getting highlights or something that's not touching my scalp? Any help or advice appreciated

TheCatsMeow Mon 18-Jan-16 20:58:37

I had full colours and bleach and all sorts. Baby was fine

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 18-Jan-16 21:05:19

Having mine done again tomorrow! I've never stopped having mine bleached and I'm 28 weeks now. My sister avoided it in her first trimester though there's little evidence afaik of any risk.

celeste83 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:08:47

I didn't know we weren't supposed to use bleach. Is this for cleaning bleach aswell?

ShowYourSeams Mon 18-Jan-16 21:13:25

I did mine all the way through. But I did find my scalp tingled something chronic for days afterwards.
Other than that, no adverse effects.

celeste83 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:21:13

Is everyone else using bleach cleaning products then?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 18-Jan-16 21:22:57

Yes celeste I still clean with bleach. There's only oven cleaner I've avoided.

celeste83 Mon 18-Jan-16 21:32:36

Oh god yeah oven cleaner is the worst smell known to man. Just wondered if the bleach topic here stretched to toilet bleach too.

whatsoever Tue 19-Jan-16 00:03:30

I'm getting bleach highlights on Friday. My understanding is hair dye and bleach are fine for the baby (virtually none absorbed through your scalp); the only actual complication is that pregnant women are more susceptible to allergic/sensitive reaction if they're using them for the first time (irrelevant if you're a regular user).

Crumbles12 Tue 19-Jan-16 06:00:28

It's fine to colour or bleach your hair in pregnancy, the only concern is that sometimes your hormones can affect how the colour takes or make you feel a bit unwell or dizzy with the fumes, aslong as your hairdresser is aware and can make sure the salon is ventilated and you let her know if you become unwell then it's absolutely fine. I'm a hairdresser and dyed my hair throughout wouldn't have gone 9 months without! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now