Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding and breastfeeding

(2 Posts)
FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 18-Jan-16 19:40:34

Evening all

Excuse the multiple threads- started one and got some great stories and advice on Saturday after I was admitted to the EPU with some light bleeding. Scanned and foetal pole and heartbeat visible in right place. Cervix closed.

Bleeding is pretty much stopped, just a bit of one and off brown when I wipe but- and I'm sure I'm not imagining this- I think it hurts when I breastfeed my daughter and I think the brown discharge gets heavier too.

She's 18 months and down to 1/2 feeds in the evening but obviously I've been feeding her the whole time. Why might this have started now?

Anyone got any experience of this? Saw GP today and shared this. They seemed unconcerned.

Quills Mon 18-Jan-16 19:52:53

Hi OP.

Glad your scan was positive!

I've got no direct experience, but I know that oxytocin (produced when breastfeeding) also controls uterine contractions. Remember the afterpains after giving birth, and how they felt stronger when you breastfed? It's the same process.

Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about. Many, many women breastfeed successfully throughout pregnancy and go on to tandem feed with no issues, and our bodies are pretty damn smart! My best guess would be the oxytocin is just encouraging the expelling of the old blood, but please don't take my word for it. Maybe contact La Leche League or similar for some expert advice if you're still concerned.

I hope everything stays well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now