Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron levels - how low is low??

(14 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Mon 18-Jan-16 16:12:07

I have just spoken to a midwife who said my iron levels are low at 103 (for something) and 6 for stores I think. Can someone translate as to how low that actually is. What is normal?? I'm feeling pretty craps lately so I'm assuming it's not great. I'm 17 weeks and having a lot of restless leg syndrome and palpitations.
Midwife has prescribed me ferrous fumerate liquid as the tablets do horrendous things to my digestive system! She's also prescribed me lactulose just in case. Oh the joys...!

BloodyBloods Mon 18-Jan-16 16:17:49

6 is very low for ferritin (iron stores) and will certainly be making you feel awful. flowers

goodnightdarthvader1 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:28:37

I think it's very individual, based on your usual iron levels. I started at 120 and dropped to 111 ... they wouldn't do anything, then I dropped to 99, then they panicked. I'm now 105 and have been classed as "ok", even though I still feel like crap.

Oysterbabe Mon 18-Jan-16 17:01:39

I don't know how low is low but I was told mine was 140 and they considered it very good. It dropped to 127 by 30 weeks and they were happy with that too.

OhWhatAPalaver Mon 18-Jan-16 17:15:47

Yep feeling pretty rough.... I've been taking spatone but usually only remember to take one sachet of it when it should be 2 for pregnant women. Oops. I'm going to get on with taking 2 sachets straight away until I get the ferrous fumerate!
I remember after having dd1 I was very low and they considered a transfusion but then the Dr decided I would be fine with tablets. I don't think I've ever got the levels back up again since then :/

ThatsIrrelephant Mon 18-Jan-16 17:36:25

111 is cut off at booking and 110.5 is cut off at 28 weeks. If you are lower than that they usually advise either dietary iron (leafy greens etc) or iron tablets.

Try not to worry, hopefully the tablets prescribed will sort it out. Drink orange juice with them too - vitamin C helps iron absorption!

Me624 Mon 18-Jan-16 17:48:53

Pre pregnancy I was very anaemic and reached a record low of 23 grin over the course of several months I crept up to 58, 75 then finally 120 at which point they said I could stop taking the tablets.

My booking in bloods were 112 and at 28 weeks I was down to 93 so back on the iron. Having more bloods taken next week at 34 to see if they've risen.

Like others have said it depends in part on what's normal for you. Hovering around 100 would be considered quite a good result for me whereas for most it would be low or borderline.

ThatsIrrelephant Mon 18-Jan-16 18:28:22

Me 23?! shock You must have felt awful!

OhWhatAPalaver Mon 18-Jan-16 19:31:00

I'm veggie so I imagine my usual levels aren't the same as a typical omnivore but they have definitely dropped a lot lower since pregnancy.
Wow 23 shock. I thought mine was bad!

Junosmum Mon 18-Jan-16 19:46:54

110= normal pre-pregnancy, 105, ok in pregnancy, below that and you are low.

LumpySpaceCow Mon 18-Jan-16 20:23:55

Your ferritin (stores is low), your hb is probably borderline.
A HB of 23 would be a medical emergency as would really only be seen in severe blood loss/near death!

Sophia1984 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:43:04

Ferritin is really low. Mine is 11 and doc put me on ferrous sulphate for that even before I was pregnant. I feel loads better :-) Hope you do soon!

Woodenmouse Mon 18-Jan-16 20:46:46

I've just been prescribed iron tablets mine is 106 and my midwife said they normally treat at 105 but as I'm 35 weeks they want to bring it up before they decide where I can give birth.

OhWhatAPalaver Mon 18-Jan-16 21:15:38

Thanks everyone. I'm convinced my stores have been low for ages but my gp wasn't testing them, was just testing the hb...hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now