Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

this is what I've packed - what have I missed?

(52 Posts)
mayaknew Sat 16-Jan-16 20:15:44

Me:
Pj's x2
Tena pants
Bobbles & kirbies
Deodorant
Shower gel
Dry shampoo
Tooth brush/paste
Dressing gown
Slipper socks

Baby:
4 sleepsuits
4 vests
3 fleece socks
Knit Cardi and hat
3 cotton hats
4 pairs scratch mits
3 bibs
Nappies

I know I need more bibs and I've got a snowsuit my mum bought just haven't got it off her yet. I'm going to pack a separate small bag with clothes for me to come home in.

What else needs to go in?confused

Boogers Sat 16-Jan-16 20:17:41

Towel for you, baby wipes for baby.

sepa Sat 16-Jan-16 20:20:41

Phone charger. Maybe a towel for yourself (unless you don't mind using theirs) and some underwear
You need to add some of them breast pads (for any leakage) and if your breast feeding some nipple cream.

What are you going to wear to give birth in?

Not sure what else as I have never done it. They are just bits I remember from other people lists

FlossieTreadlight Sat 16-Jan-16 20:20:52

Lasinoh nipple cream, face wipes, lip balm, muesli bars for when you're starving but food is a while away. Google 'hospital bag checklist, and you'll be sorted. Good luck smile

StitchesInTime Sat 16-Jan-16 20:21:08

You need maternity pads to use after giving birth. Bleeding after birth (lochia?) can be very heavy.

60sname Sat 16-Jan-16 20:22:13

Snacks? TENS machine? Plastic bags for soiled clothing? Nursing bra if bf, formula etc if ff. Fan/flannel for forehead?

Maybe bring only one or two outfits for the baby and have the other stuff by the front door for your DP to bring if it turns out you need to stay in.

Wishful80sMontage Sat 16-Jan-16 20:23:06

Maternity pads lots of
Towel for you
Baby wipes or cotton wool to wipe baby
Snacks

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:24:25

Tena? Christ, are we really to need those? <worries>

BumpPower Sat 16-Jan-16 20:26:13

Chocolate/biscuits/yummy snacks as a post labour treat
A waterbottle
A few bendy straws so you can drink & breast feed.
Nipple cream
Make sure your shower gel is fragrance free/not stingy (in case of stitches and things no one wants to focus on)
Phone and charger
Camera
Kindle/book for waiting around
Fresh change of clothes for DP
I was in hospital for quite a few days - although DP was home and back everyday so no biggy if I forgot anything. My milk came in and needed a bra to wear and put breast pads in. But not needed straight away.

I don't think you will need baby socks if you have sleepsuits

HorraceTheOtter Sat 16-Jan-16 20:26:22

Yes to towel and baby wipes. You can get water ones for when they're tiny- much easier than messing about with cotton wool. At the hospital I had mine in, they preferred you to bring your own baby blanket for some reason. Snacks for if you give birth missing a meal time. Hospitals can be quite rigid about when food is given and any least then you've something to eat.

MrsNutella Sat 16-Jan-16 20:28:40

Hairbrush?

dontpokethebear Sat 16-Jan-16 20:30:17

I would say pack some proper slippers as well as slipper socks. And proper shampoo, for the best shower of you life, post birth.
I took a blanket for baby too.

DancingDuck Sat 16-Jan-16 20:31:06

Mints - you'll have loads of visitors and not much chance to clean your teeth.
Nipple cream
Nappy rash cream - the meconium can make their skin sore
Healthy high protein/calorie snacks
Flipflops for you to wear in the shower. Maternity ward bathrooms can be gross - you may not want to touch any surfaces.
Lip balm and moisturiser - wards are hot and can dry out skin

BettyRooster Sat 16-Jan-16 20:31:59

Wax ear plugs!

BumpPower Sat 16-Jan-16 20:32:08

Goodnightdarth - don't stress about the tena, after birth you will have a baby; nothing else is worth sweating over. I threw out dignity and wore the tena lady pants nappy things - best thing ever. Did the job, in hospital they have big bins to dispose of them, they are comfier than a pad as provided all over padding rather than a strip of the pad. Plus they had pretty butterflies on - ace!

Kpo58 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:32:40

50,000 more pairs of underwear

Flip flops for the shower encase the floor is grotty.

StitchesInTime Sat 16-Jan-16 20:36:09

Oh, and re. scratchmitts - you can buy sleepsuits with built in scratchmitts. The separate scratchmitts never stayed on my DC for more than 5 mins.

Obviously this isn't helpful if you've already bought sleepsuits without built in scratchmitts. But with DS1, I had the built in scratchmitts, and didn't realise it until my sister pointed them out when DS1 was a few months old. blush

mayaknew Sat 16-Jan-16 20:37:50

Excellent ideas thank you smile

The tena pants are in place of maternity pads. Loved them.

Yy blanket for baby and breast pads. I know I'm forgetting so mush my head is just not with it blush

redtammy Sat 16-Jan-16 20:41:37

I'd take an even number of socks.....smile

tbtc20 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:45:33

Why the nipple cream suggestions?
I'd only advise putting anything on your nipples at the first sign of any problem.
You may have no problems at all.

Newlywed123 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:45:45

I've literally just packed mine.. I packed:
For me-
3pairs of pjs (ones a easy to put on nappy when I get in and out of the pool)
Knickers
Socks
Clothes to go home in
Nursing bra
Shampoo
Body wash
Breast and maternity pads
Charger
Camera
Suduko book
Towels
Hairbrush
Dressing gown
Slippers

Baby-
4 vests
4 babygrows
3hats
2 mits
2 bibs
Pack of 23 nappies
Nappy sacks
Babies teddy
Baby lotion and cotton wool (instead of wipes)

I've also packed some lucozade sports (both previous Labour's I became dehydrated), cereal bars and some spare clothes for my husband.

I don't plan on staying in, I was home within 5 hours of having my daughter. But you never know if things will go smoothly smile

Luckystar1 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:54:56

Witch hazel for the maternity pads - you can thank me later. (The distilled liquid stuff from Boots)

dontpokethebear Sat 16-Jan-16 21:09:33

Oh luckystar good call! Witch hazel is amazing!

DancingDuck Sat 16-Jan-16 23:27:50

tbtc nipple cream to be on the safe side. I ended up in there for five days with twins who had complications but were breastfeeding. Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have any to hand.

honeysucklejasmine Sat 16-Jan-16 23:40:39

Luckystar The liquid witch hazel on the boots.com site says not to use on broken skin. Can I ignore this and slather it on mat pads? I've heard great things about witch hazel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now