Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Awful nausea

(15 Posts)
LetThereBeCupcakes Sat 16-Jan-16 20:13:32

I'm 7+1 with DS and really struggling. It feels ridiculous as I've only actually been sick a couple of times, but the nausea is crippling me. It's all day and night. I'm trying to force myself to eat but can usually only manage a few mouthfuls. Sometimes when DS speaks to me I can barely string together a sentence to answer, I'm so distracted by the nausea. Keep rushing to the loo but nothing coming up.

Any suggestions? I can't function like this, I've already had to take time off work. I had no problems when I was pregnant with DS so this is a real shock.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 16-Jan-16 20:29:07

Huge sympathy. It's seriously shit. You might need to take time off work. Eat as soon as you wake, little and often, grey foods. Sleep as much as possible (it passes the time). Get as much help as you can. There is a rumour pregnacare vits can make it worse so maybe worth swapping if you're on those. Perhaps try the pressure wrist bands?

sepa Sat 16-Jan-16 20:31:31

I found a fizzy drink helped me. I felt sick constantly but only actually sick twice.

I saw a nutritionist a few months ago and she advised me to have protein for breakfast (usually I have eggs) as it helps with sickness later in the day

GingerDoesntHelp Sat 16-Jan-16 20:43:14

I had this and had to take quite a lot of time off work - it was awful. I mostly ate hot cross buns and couldn't bear the smell of preparing food. I could only eat if I hadn't smelt or watched the food being prepared and someone placed something in front of me ready to eat. People kept asking me what I fancied, which was useless as I didn't fancy anything. I just need a slave to provide me with surprise meals at regular intervals. Unfortunately this went on for 20 weeks before it eased and disappeared completely at 22 weeks.

londonrach Sat 16-Jan-16 20:53:53

Solution......drink alot of water, eat cheddars, (hot cross buns are good too) and go to bed at 9pm. Not been sick but had like you this awful queasiness which has made all food awful. Did find the old refreshers (you know like love hearts) works well too.

LBOCS2 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:03:13

This is what I have rather than out and out sickness - 24/7 nausea from 8 weeks to 17!

Things I find which helped: don't get tired or dehydrated, eat tiny mouthfuls occasionally rather than forcing down meals, try different sweets or drinks to see what 'clears' your mouth - I found that the hard halls soothers were good this time around whereas last time I ate millions of satsumas. Spend as much time laying down as possible.

MrsS182 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:05:17

I'm about the same stage as you and getting all day nausea. Last week eating little and often was helping. This week I'm really struggling to do that. I've found that a fizzy drink has helped and also bizarrely cola bottles! Still making myself eat even if I don't feel like it as I'm the same as you rarely actually sick except for first thing in the morning.

skankingpiglet Sat 16-Jan-16 21:35:56

I've struggled with constant nausea for both pregnancies and I've found fizzy and sour sweets have really helped. Also when things got really bad a small glass or can of decent tonic water (fevertree, fentimans, bottle green. The other brands have quinine flavouring rather than the real stuff). The bottle green bitter grapefruit is really good too if you can find it. You shouldn't have too much as too much quinine during pregnancy isn't a good thing, although I think the danger level is 1ltr a day IIRC as there isn't masses in tonic. I never went anywhere near that much though, just used it as a last resort. Other fizzy drinks helped too but weren't as effective I found.

foxessocks Sat 16-Jan-16 21:52:15

I just wanted to say me too. You're not alone. I'm also 7 weeks and have a toddler dd to look after. I work from home some evenings and it's very hard because that's when I feel the worst because I'm also tired.

I find all the above helps, the eating little and often and satsumas are good for cleansing the pallet. The protein for breakfast is a new one on me and I'm keen to try it but not sure I could motivate myself to cook eggs in the morning! If it works though...might be worth a try.

Right now I'm just telling myself to get through it an hour and a day at a time. I congratulate myself on small achievements like putting a wash on and I rest whenever I can and let everything else slide a bit. My dd is really none the wiser even if I think I'm not being as good a mum as before. I'm still feeding her and clothing her! And she is watching a bit more telly so to be honest she's pretty happy. It is definitely important not to be hard on yourself although that can be tricky.

I also find playing certain games with her when I feel really sick like tea parties where I can just lie on the floor and pretend to chat to her teddies!

Luckygirlcharlie Sun 17-Jan-16 09:56:11

I had same with both. Horrid. Polos helped me. Also kept a banana and a bag of crisps with me at all times. The minute I stated to get hungry I got super nauseous. Also worse when I was tired in the evenings. Try and think of it as a sign of a healthy pregnancy. I did and it helped sometimes! It will stop. About 14 wks with first and about 16 wks with second for me. X

lilygirl81 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:07:05

I've been like you since week 6 (am almost 13 weeks now). Keep an eye on your weight loss and speak to your GP as there are a few medications you can take to help. If you are really struggling to eat and drink, you might need to go into hospital for fluids and meds, I've been twice when my urine showed high ketones and been in and out in 24 hours each time.

I think mine is beginning to ease now, but definitely take the care that is available to you as I don't think I could have got through this without it.

SomebodySedateMe Sun 17-Jan-16 10:10:43

Don't let yourself get hungry and stay hydrated. Eat little and often even if all you manage is a cube of cheese and some water.

You have my sympathies - my nausea turned into hyperemesis which was treated with cyclizine. The nausea was somehow worse than the actual vomiting!

outputgap Sun 17-Jan-16 11:20:51

Hi, massive sympathies.

My gp gave me metroclopamide (apologies for sp) and then cyclazine. They helped but it was still awful.

Lie down. There's some suggestion that feet off the floor helps because of balance signals.

LetThereBeCupcakes Sun 17-Jan-16 14:37:17

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I'm wondering if a lot might be due to tiredness, our dog is very ill so I'm up in the night a lot with him.

I've managed some cereal and a little toast today.

LetThereBeCupcakes Sun 17-Jan-16 14:38:54

Just realised in my OP I made it sound like I'm having a boy. Clearly at 7 weeks I have no idea, the first sentence should have said "I'm 7+1 and have a toddler DS". Apologies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now