Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low amniotic fluid and home birth

(7 Posts)
Thenightswatch Fri 15-Jan-16 16:59:50

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation.

Im 33 weeks with my third baby, went for my routine midwife appointment yesterday and she said I was measuring two weeks too small, she usually doesn't send someone in for scanning unless it's 3weeks too small, but as I'm a planned home birth she sent me in to hospital today for a growth scan, baby is measuring fine for dates but I was told I have low amniotic fluid. I've been told to come back next week for another scan and a chat with a doctor.

What I'm really wondering is if anyone has been told the same but everything was ok and fluid level rose again? Obviously all I care about is if my baby is ok, but are all hopes of my homebirth out the window now?

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 15-Jan-16 17:04:26

Nobody can answer that question except the Dr, what happened for someone else might not happen for you, your pregnancy and what happens in it is individual to you. Low levels of amniotic fluid can happen for various reasons and it is important to find out why it is happening to you so that appropriate plans can be made, once you've worked that out then you can think about your birth plans.

VocationalGoat Fri 15-Jan-16 17:08:06

My fluid was low with DC1 at 33 weeks. This was years ago and I was advised to drink water. I did just that and at my next scan, fluid levels were significantly up, back to normal levels. They will need to rule out a leak. And if there's no problem there, it could simply be a matter of dehydration. Drink water. flowers

Oh and my baby was measuring small. I was told he probably wouldn't be more than 5 pounds. He was 8.5 pounds at term! grin

BeautifulLiar Fri 15-Jan-16 17:09:46

Yeh I had low fluid the other week but it was fine the next week. They still don't want me to have a home birth though (for other reasons) sad

Thenightswatch Fri 15-Jan-16 17:33:30

I know that I need to speak with the doctor, but with a week to wait I just wanted others stories.

Thanks Goat I know I haven't been drinking as much as I should of been so I will be drinking plenty from now on smile

That's reassuring Liar but I'm sorry you can't get your home birth sad

ToastyFingers Sat 16-Jan-16 22:22:20

I had low fluid for a couple of weeks (between 32 and 35 weeks iirc) but it went back up again then and dd was born at home.

Thenightswatch Sun 17-Jan-16 10:12:00

That's great to hear toasty, hoping I go the same way as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now