Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

New windows - toxic smell

(4 Posts)
ToffeeForEveryone Thu 14-Jan-16 19:35:20

Probably a strange question, but does anyone know if the smell from new windows is toxic? confused

Got new double glazing installed today and there is a really strong chemical smell, sort of like nail varnish combined with black markers. Google has been no help to see whether it is toxic or something to avoid when pregnant (I'm 34 weeks).

Currently have the windows open although it's sodding freezing but I'm going to have to close them overnight. A bit worried that I should be heading to the nearest Travelodge for the night instead!

SmallGreenBouncyBall Thu 14-Jan-16 19:39:26

it's fine. the smell goes away after a couple of days. keep airing every mow and then.

Sal1977 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:37:02

Its the sealant/mastic that they use. As long as you're not chewing on it, you're fine!
We're living on a building site with 3 weeks til the baby's due. You get used to the smells and dust and grot!

ToffeeForEveryone Thu 14-Jan-16 20:55:43

Thanks smile Expected I was just being precious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now